Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My Web Portfolio

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My Web Portfolio

Hello,

I've been trying to rebuild my personal web portfolio, from the ground up utilizing HTML 5 and CSS3 coding (through Dreamweaver and direct text code). While I'm doing this I'm trying to teach myself the mark-up languages and gain a better sense of online design/and style. I'm not using a content manager or anything. I also do not know JavaScript. Finally, the server I'm using is my old college web space, and does not allow me to use server side languages such as PHP.

In any case, the reasons I joined this site and am posting here is two-fold:

First, I am looking for advise on my web portfolio: functionality, aesthetics, and/or code implementation. As previously stated, right now, I'm just teaching myself HTML 5 and CSS3. I'm close to a beginner/intermediate. My ultimate goals are to have a well done, professional looking, responsive website that doesn't lack originality/character and effectively shows off my work. Currently I have the "Home" and "About" pages reworked...so those are the only two I would like opinions on. The rest of my pages are not finished or redone yet and are still the way my site used to be. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

My site is at: Michael Stingley - Homepage

Second, is this a good forum to get advice, opinions, and help from? I've just started looking for opinions on the web...on forums. Are there any other sites I should/could try...where I might learn good web design, general design, code and/or get opinions/feedback?

Thanks.

Member #
    Thanks for the thought PreciousReed. Appreciate it. I agree, I think the images I'm using for the site are too large at the moment. It even loads a hair slow on my PC. I will need to shrink the files at some point. Also have a list of other things I would like to do, like add a drop down menu, check that I'm using <p> and <h> right in code, and redo all the individual gallery pages. But, I work full-time, so, it's going to be a slow process. Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    its certainly different, id use a preloader because its annoying waiting for all the images to load.

Member #
    Well, I know it's been about a month, but, I'm still tinkering with my site. Thank you to PreciousReed and rickyd for commenting. Should have replied sooner.

Since I last posted I have probably changed my site a bit. I don't remember where it was at when I last posted though. I know I've changed fonts, added a drop-down menu, tried changing the cursor (that was cheesy), and other misc. things. I did try to take the advice I got about download speed though and shrunk the whole site down from about 65mb to about 35mb. Unfortunately, it may still load too slowly. I would shrink the images down more, but, I'm afraid, with phone and tablet screens getting higher dpi, 300+, quality will suffer. Maybe an irrational fear though as those screens are so small. In any case, it's still very much a work in progress. I can't help looking at top design rating websites and comparing my site to theirs. Not sure I've grasped the trend of full-screen scrolling and/or innovative navigation. I've also seen where many will have their gallery images enlarge on the same page, rather than open a new tab. I thought about doing this, but, I'd probably have to ditch the FB "like" and "comment" buttons.

The most troubling problem I'm having is with delstu's comments. Why am I doing this? And, who is my audience? I've been working through a couple of beginner books on HTML and CSS and decided to buy 2 more a few weeks ago...but...aside from enjoying it, why? I THINK my audience would be myself and my peers as I don't think I'm skilled or accomplished enough to use my site to sell myself for a job in a creative field yet. By peers I would mean beginner designers, artists, and students (I'm going back to school next fall). I want them to look at my site and be interested in my work...want to communicate, network, and share thoughts with me. That said, I wonder if I should join sites like DeviantArt...or some other site... Lol...questions have been bothering me...and still no easy, straight-forward answer...which may make them great questions.

Anyway, cheers.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Animale38 View Post
    Well, I know it's been about a month, but, I'm still tinkering with my site. Thank you to PreciousReed and rickyd for commenting. Should have replied sooner.

Since I last posted I have probably changed my site a bit. I don't remember where it was at when I last posted though. I know I've changed fonts, added a drop-down menu, tried changing the cursor (that was cheesy), and other misc. things. I did try to take the advice I got about download speed though and shrunk the whole site down from about 65mb to about 35mb. Unfortunately, it may still load too slowly. I would shrink the images down more, but, I'm afraid, with phone and tablet screens getting higher dpi, 300+, quality will suffer. Maybe an irrational fear though as those screens are so small. In any case, it's still very much a work in progress. I can't help looking at top design rating websites and comparing my site to theirs. Not sure I've grasped the trend of full-screen scrolling and/or innovative navigation. I've also seen where many will have their gallery images enlarge on the same page, rather than open a new tab. I thought about doing this, but, I'd probably have to ditch the FB "like" and "comment" buttons.

The most troubling problem I'm having is with delstu's comments. Why am I doing this? And, who is my audience? I've been working through a couple of beginner books on HTML and CSS and decided to buy 2 more a few weeks ago...but...aside from enjoying it, why? I THINK my audience would be myself and my peers as I don't think I'm skilled or accomplished enough to use my site to sell myself for a job in a creative field yet. By peers I would mean beginner designers, artists, and students (I'm going back to school next fall). I want them to look at my site and be interested in my work...want to communicate, network, and share thoughts with me. That said, I wonder if I should join sites like DeviantArt...or some other site... Lol...questions have been bothering me...and still no easy, straight-forward answer...which may make them great questions.

Anyway, cheers.
    First, is a like on FB really that important? I get put off when I have to open an image on another page. If I were a visitor I'd leave the site the moment I see this.

Let my try to clear something up about Stu's question. Its not about why you want to build websites. Its why is this site useful. Most websites are 1 of 2 or 3 things. You have sites that inform people on products, events, you know things like Wiki or a blog. Then you have sites that are there to sell you a product or service. Like Amazon or any other eCommerce site. Theres maybe more but these seem to be the majority of all sites.

You gave us your answer, its main goal/purpose it to showcase your art, and maybe eventually move into selling your skills as a service. This is where you have to STOP thinking like an artist and start thinking like a designer. The truth is, design and art do but don't relate. Its a tricky topic, but basically as a designer you have to make calculated and strategic decisions based on your goal. You have to consider what your goal is and design your site to communicate that. Lets take an art gallery for instance. When someone puts together an art gallery do they just throw paintings on any which wall, or is there a reason why one painting should or shouldn't go next to another. The placement is designed. Maybe thats a bad example but I was trying to get it to relate to something you know. Basically its like I said, a designer makes choices based on reasoning while an artist has full artistic license to do whatever they want. As an artist you can make a sun green and when asked why you could say "cause I wanted a green sun." We designers do not have that luxury. As a designer you better have a damn good reason to make that sun green! We aren't artist, we are visual communicators.

Member #
    Vapr_Arts - thanks for the response. I appreciate you input and honesty.

First, I agree with you on the gallery pages. I've started, on my "Traditional" gallery page to use JavaScript to have the images open on the same page. I just started playing with the JavaScript 2 days ago, so, it's a hair buggy. I'm using resources like W3Schools and StackOverflow. Hopefully I'll get it figured out to how I want it to work.

Anyway, I think I see what you're saying about Stu's comments. I see that I need to gear my site to best communicate to my intended audience, which I think is: myself, peers (students/artists), and instructors. I suppose clients down the road, but, I have much to learn, I think, at the moment to begin "selling" services and myself. That said, questions maybe should be: Does my site showcase my work effectively and efficiently to those groups? Is it easily accessible and understandable? Are they "engaged" enough to be stay around, become interested, and possibly contact me? I guess I'm just free-forming here. Maybe this is a bad direction and bad questions. I'm trying though. That, said, thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    I'm afraid Vapr's comments leave me a bit confused.

Why you want to build a website leads to why will it be useful. Of course we also have who is your intended audience? What do you want to communicate to them - what is your purpose? At what stage in your career or endeavors (When)? Where will you find them and where will they find you? How will you present your information?

By asking questions we begin to find our direction and focus. You seem to be moving along in deciding your actual goals so that some help can be provided and advice given. Vapr has given you some good advice. I believe you are now able to ask specific questions we can help you with as you move along.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    I'm afraid Vapr's comments leave me a bit confused.

Why you want to build a website leads to why will it be useful. Of course we also have who is your intended audience? What do you want to communicate to them - what is your purpose? At what stage in your career or endeavors (When)? Where will you find them and where will they find you? How will you present your information?

By asking questions we begin to find our direction and focus. You seem to be moving along in deciding your actual goals so that some help can be provided and advice given. Vapr has given you some good advice. I believe you are now able to ask specific questions we can help you with as you move along.
    It seemed like he misinterpreted your question. It felt like he was answering as if you were asking why he wants to learn to code. I was trying to clear up any confusion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads