Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My Web Portfolio

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My Web Portfolio

Hello,

I've been trying to rebuild my personal web portfolio, from the ground up utilizing HTML 5 and CSS3 coding (through Dreamweaver and direct text code). While I'm doing this I'm trying to teach myself the mark-up languages and gain a better sense of online design/and style. I'm not using a content manager or anything. I also do not know JavaScript. Finally, the server I'm using is my old college web space, and does not allow me to use server side languages such as PHP.

In any case, the reasons I joined this site and am posting here is two-fold:

First, I am looking for advise on my web portfolio: functionality, aesthetics, and/or code implementation. As previously stated, right now, I'm just teaching myself HTML 5 and CSS3. I'm close to a beginner/intermediate. My ultimate goals are to have a well done, professional looking, responsive website that doesn't lack originality/character and effectively shows off my work. Currently I have the "Home" and "About" pages reworked...so those are the only two I would like opinions on. The rest of my pages are not finished or redone yet and are still the way my site used to be. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

My site is at: Michael Stingley - Homepage

Second, is this a good forum to get advice, opinions, and help from? I've just started looking for opinions on the web...on forums. Are there any other sites I should/could try...where I might learn good web design, general design, code and/or get opinions/feedback?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Your are a great artist !
    For web designing, you need to practice more. learn to use little flavour of JavaScript. It is not to be written as HTML, but to put in a HTML page only. check on YouTube about its use.

Member #
    Thanks for the replay Satinder Tech. Appreciate it! I will probably try to integrate JavaScript if and when I learn how to use it. I'm still teaching myself HTML 5 and CSS3, lol. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Why do you want your portfolio online? What is your websites purpose? So far I am just guessing and it's not likely you will need any languages, not even javascript, but I could very easily be wrong. Why are you learning - to expand your knowledge and qualifications or are you looking to go into web design or development? Such changes make a lot of difference about the kind of advice you need.

Member #
    delstu - Wow, those are great questions. When I finished up my time in school they had us make a portfolio. I guess to advertise our skills? I never did get a job or leads as a result of my site. That said, I update and work on it now for multiple reasons: I enjoy the creation process - on computers and off, I want to express myself, I find it enjoyable/fun, I want to expand my skills and abilities and see what I can accomplish and do....I guess for personal reasons. I don't know that I will ever actually get a job/employment/leads from it, to be honest. That time is past, I suppose. I do it now as a somewhat serious hobby...webdesign...and artwork. So, I'm learning for the enjoyment of it, to expand my abilities, skills, and horizons. I wouldn't be against it leading me into a job in a design field...but...I feel I have a lot to learn yet for that to happen. I hope these are reasons sufficient for some advice...but, I would understand if they may not be. It's funny that you ask that as I have had friends, non-web designers, who have suggested I give up on learning to hand code the HTML5 and CSS3 and just use a CSM (?)...like Wordpress or Drupal (?) to create my site. Would be easier and more professional looking. But, I want the challenge. I want to know I made it myself...organically(?) and hands on. Foolish? Lol. I don't know. I hope this answers your question.

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Animale38 View Post
    delstu - Wow, those are great questions. When I finished up my time in school they had us make a portfolio. I guess to advertise our skills? I never did get a job or leads as a result of my site. That said, I update and work on it now for multiple reasons: I enjoy the creation process - on computers and off, I want to express myself, I find it enjoyable/fun, I want to expand my skills and abilities and see what I can accomplish and do....I guess for personal reasons. I don't know that I will ever actually get a job/employment/leads from it, to be honest. That time is past, I suppose. I do it now as a somewhat serious hobby...webdesign...and artwork. So, I'm learning for the enjoyment of it, to expand my abilities, skills, and horizons. I wouldn't be against it leading me into a job in a design field...but...I feel I have a lot to learn yet for that to happen. I hope these are reasons sufficient for some advice...but, I would understand if they may not be. It's funny that you ask that as I have had friends, non-web designers, who have suggested I give up on learning to hand code the HTML5 and CSS3 and just use a CSM (?)...like Wordpress or Drupal (?) to create my site. Would be easier and more professional looking. But, I want the challenge. I want to know I made it myself...organically(?) and hands on. Foolish? Lol. I don't know. I hope this answers your question.
    Now I see where my problem lies. This seems to be just a hobby site and you have no particular focus. If that is what you want then we cannot advise you much until you decide what you actually want to do.

My advice would be to focus on one area then we can do a better job advising you.

It appears to me that you majored in graphic design. If it were my site I would concentrate on building the site out to be an actual portfolio of your design work so that you can reference it on your resume when applying for a job in graphic design.

If you want to learn web design then start another site to experiment while you study HTML, CSS, and Javascript to get yourself started. If you decide this is what you really want to do then there a few other programming languages you will need to learn. Everyone seems to believe they are a web designer and the field is very competitive. Web development is not nearly as competitive but it is not easy to build a clientele or even find a job without some experience. Most people that want to freelance do this as a side job until they build their clientele enough to make a living, usually starting out working for free building a site for a local charity such as a church.

So the first thing we really need from you is for you to decide what your goals are.

Member #
    delstu -
    Thanks for the reply and your thoughts and advice. I suppose you're right, it would be hard to advise me until I have a goal or focus. I'm not selling anything on my site except myself...my drawings, colorings, and art (maybe some digital media too). Unfortunately, my degree wasn't in design but 3D Modeling and Animation with a Fine Art minor, so I don't have a large design portfolio. I'm going to attempt to go back to school for a BFA in Art with a Design minor. I suppose, until I can build up skills worth selling for a purpose, the only purpose for my site is, possibly as portfolio of my current skills for going back to school. What I mean is, I know for the BFA program I would like to attend and make it through, there is a sophomore review process where they look at a collection of your work...to determine whether you can continue on with the program. I'd like my website to look good for that. In addition, if I have the will, money and time and want to continue on to grad. school, I know many of those require portfolios to submit. A good website would be nice for that possibility as well (though that would be a long way off if ever). So: I want to build a web portfolio that would be able to impress and satisfy instructors in an undergraduate Art program and, possibly, a grad. school program. That would be a goal.

This all said, I would like to build my own site rather than have someone else do it, a professional. It may look nice, but, it wouldn't be "me"...if that makes sense. I also have a genuine curiosity about how to build a website....design, structure, code, and all. I see very nice websites out there and wish I could become just as accomplished. I don't know if I can or will attempt to become a professional designer with a clientele. That being said, I like your suggestion of volunteering my skills for free for anyone who could use them. Having more than one site to work on and learn from would be great. This all said, I guess, right now, my only goals are to build my own skills, abilities, and knowledge (aesthetic & technical) and build a site to possibly use for school. These are not professional or money making goals, so, there may be little incentive for anyone to share their thoughts. What I am doing right now may be sufficient without advice. I guess I had been working hard at building the site and wanted some constructive feedback, but, without professional goals, and/or, with little, vague goals, it may be difficult for people to do. Lol. Live and learn.

This all said, thanks for your replies. Appreciate it.

Member #
    If you need help I want you to visit this page, they have a lot of helpful guides that will optimize everything for you

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MathiasAndersson View Post
    If you need help I want you to visit this page, they have a lot of helpful guides that will optimize everything for you
    And how would your link-drop be useful when most of us don't understand your language?
    gesturepoke likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    It's good. It just take too much time for your to load. Your works are awesome but I suggest you to try cool grid layout styles to showcase your work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads