Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Question Medium/large E-commerce website design

I recently deisgned a new site for our electronic components company. We sell thousands of products so I didn't feel the large images, no menus style sites are moving towards didn't seem to work. Also most of our clients aren't too quick to adapt.
    Let me know how it looks. Any feedback is appreciated.

Iconopower Ltd.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Yes, it is fine. Why is there no prices? It's simple and clean.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    There are unit prices, so that's not an issue.

If your clients aren't quick to adapt, the thing to do would be to talk to them first. The simple reason...they're buying the product, not us. That's why what "other sites" are doing doesn't matter for the most part as it may not be suited to your specific business model. That doesn't mean you can't try things from other sites or get ideas from them...it just means that you shouldn't automatically use them just because someone else is.

In this particular case, I'd consider borrowing two things from Best Buy's site from a desktop point of view (http://www.bestbuy.ca/):

1) The menu layout. You can go with a wider menu and incorporate more imagery into the menu, at least for key categories. I'm working on a new layout for a client of mine where I did something similar (can't show it yet because it's not live)...I took the products, listed the main categories, used an image for the top 5 subcategories, then listed off the rest. You'll have to modify it for cell phones and tablets if you're thinking about the responsive thing (and it seems you've paid a tiny bit of attention to that), but this would work for the desktop.

For those of you about to criticize me for not suggesting "mobile first"...it's an industrial site. They tend to be more desktop oriented as a general rule. Mind you, the site stats would answer that question in this case and my opinion wouldn't.

2) The grid layout for products. You don't have detailed descriptions for your thumbnails, so put them into a grid for the desktop version. Maybe 4 x 5 would do the trick. Play around with it.

Using tables for your layout...not helping you, man. Bad idea. Tables are for stuff you'd throw into spreadsheets and...well, database tables. They're not for layouts. They will "work", but they've been long dated and they'll mess you up if/when you really have to start focusing on mobile devices.

I rarely comment on colour schemes as a rule because it's highly subjective and I'm a programmer and not a designer, but I have to in this case because of the purple colour. This may be a comment related to a deeper rebranding, but I'd focus more on using the red than the purple. It reminds me personally of the PHP.net website, and not in a good way. If you can use say red and grey, you'll open yourself up to some better colour palettes, such as this one: Valor | The Original Radiant Gas Fireplace

Hopefully that gives you some ideas to get you started.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads