Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By rickyd
  • 2 Post By hiitsme

Thread: My New Web Portfolio

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My New Web Portfolio

Hi Guys, first post here. Would love some feedback on my website design for my web agency.

what do you guys think of it?

Web Design Wales - Responsive Mobile Website Design Agency
    satindertech and Krazyhawk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I do not understand why users need to scroll down to see the main navigation menu on the homepage - that is a usability problem and I do not see any reason for doing it. Also, you use the same blue for links and non link text on the homepage - that is a major usability problem, and usability problems are likely to scare some prospective clients (who are after high quality) off. 'Hamburger' menu on the desktop version is not a great idea in your situation as well, though it is fashionable now. Also, your buttons and page titles looks the same - there needs to be some visual distinction between static and interactive elements, otherwise it is confusing for users.

In general the website looks very appealing and contemporary, there are just some usability problems that need to be addressed.
    satindertech and Krazyhawk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    PROS:

Clean design
    Very nice to look at. (animations)
    I know what you do (Web Design / SEO)
    You explain who you are.
    Intuitive

CONS:
    As hiitsme said, the nav not appearing until after you scroll passed the image is a double edged sword. Sure the image looks sweet, but I have to scroll to have any sort of control.
    Animations are nice, but distracting sometimes.
    Your work, I wouldn't know to click on it if I were on mobile. Doesn't look clickable.
    Mobile -> weird animation glitches happen, sizing adjusted after page load, I suggest disabled animations on mobile.
    Mobile -> Nav bar doesn't always stick, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. This causes the user to have to scroll all the way back up.

Overall: Nice, responsive design.

Viewed on Chrome (PC) and Chrome (MOBILE)

Member #
    Hi Ricky,

Your site looks great, well done. I did notice it was built with a wp theme though, contrary to what you claim on your page.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It doesn't appear to be, at least in the context of themes that we use here. All WP sites use "themes", but this one appears to be a custom theme, and a very well done custom theme overall.

I do understand why the user has to scroll down to see the menu on the home page (i.e. that the menu icon would be hard to see against the dark background), but I don't agree with the idea. Keep the menu on the top at all times. People will look for it there, and it should stay there.

I like that you explain what you did for each piece in your portfolio rather than showing a screen cap and not even linking to the project, as most people in our industry do. That's good.

Your blog itself could use some work on the copywriting side. It has certain errors that I like to call "millennial grammar" errors, such as:
    All industries have cowboys, the marketing industry is no different. Web design and development seems to attract a lot of companies that think of web development as an after thought.
    "Afterthought" is one word and you need an "and" after the first comma. I'm not going to comment on the style of the copy itself, since I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Nice work overall, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Isn't any child theme a custom theme? "We never build our sites using themes".

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    I suppose the "We never build our sites using themes" is overly broad and should probably be "We never build our sites using premade themes" or something similar. Because every Wordpress site requires a theme, and it's clear, to me at least, that what they're trying to express is that they build their themes from scratch, not using a pre-made theme and applying some customizations or creating a child theme.

From all indications, the theme on that site is completely custom, and not a child of some other theme, but if you have some additional insight into it's provenance could you share it with us? I don't think anyone here looks kindly on those who pass off other's work as their own, but by the same token it's inappropriate to suggest some impropriety without elaborating.

Or maybe you're just having fun with the term "theme", which is somewhat overloaded in the Wordpress world, but if that's the case the joke's clearly being lost on the rest of us.

Remove Ads