Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rate my website - Geeky Devils

  1. #1
    Junior Member Geeky Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    54061
    Liked
    4 times

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    3.5 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    4.5 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    Rate my website - Geeky Devils

    This is a one-page responsive website and I need you to tell me what you think of it. Please feel free to criticize, as I want to make it become better. Click HERE to visit the website. Thank you

  2.  

  3. #2
    Senior Member khenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Half Moon Bay, California
    Posts
    276
    Member #
    53911
    Liked
    148 times
    The unlabelled logos below in the About section are confusing.

    Are those clients? If so that's a rather impressive client list, but the fact that they're not explicitly identified as clients or represented in your portfolio might make me wary if I were a potential customer.

  4. #3
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Watch closely, kids. This should never, but probably will, happen again.

    It's not only this theme:

    Agency - Start Bootstrap Theme

    It's also this theme:

    https://w3layouts.com/preview/?l=/go...-web-template/

    I don't think I've ever seen a theme bastardized by two completely separate people before. To your credit, you at least changed more than the Golden person did...assuming Golden is the ripoff (it's hard to tell).
    khenney likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  5. #4
    Junior Member Geeky Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    54061
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by khenney View Post
    The unlabelled logos below in the About section are confusing.

    Are those clients? If so that's a rather impressive client list, but the fact that they're not explicitly identified as clients or represented in your portfolio might make me wary if I were a potential customer.
    Yes, these are some of my clients. I guess you're right, I will add a title saying that they are my clients and I'm also in the process of updating my portfolio. Thank you s much for your reply

  6. #5
    Junior Member Geeky Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    54061
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Watch closely, kids. This should never, but probably will, happen again.

    It's not only this theme:

    Agency - Start Bootstrap Theme

    It's also this theme:

    https://w3layouts.com/preview/?l=/go...-web-template/

    I don't think I've ever seen a theme bastardized by two completely separate people before. To your credit, you at least changed more than the Golden person did...assuming Golden is the ripoff (it's hard to tell).
    You are right, this is a layout design that I bought. I'm not a designer, but I am a developer - I generally buy layout designs and then change them according to my needs. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a design or a layout, it's just like having a designer design it for you and then you develop it

    Even for my clients, I show them a list of different layout designs on the internet and then I work on the development part once they choose to buy one. They are all aware of it and it's very transparent.

    I appreciate your input though.

  7. #6
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    That would make a bit of sense if you're marketing yourself as a developer and not a designer. However, you're not only not marketing yourself as a developer, but you're specifically saying things that indicate that you're marketing yourself as a designer. That makes your usage of a template much worse, since designers are held to a higher standard and with good reason (you're supposed to be designers...as a developer, I get to say that).

    If you change your copy and base it more on development, then okay. That's going to require a rethink of your entire site, though.
    khenney likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  8. #7
    Senior Member khenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Half Moon Bay, California
    Posts
    276
    Member #
    53911
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeky Devil View Post
    Even for my clients, I show them a list of different layout designs on the internet and then I work on the development part once they choose to buy one. They are all aware of it and it's very transparent.
    This would seem to be at odds with the client list on your web site. You're claiming to have globally known companies as clients (BP, Castrol, Michigan State University, the Sunday Times, and Tiger Balm) but advertising $600 web sites on Facebook and describing a design/development process using pre-made themes that companies of that size would not be comfortable with.

    Maybe you've done work for those clients as part of a different team or at a past job? I'm finding it very hard to believe that those are clients of Geeky Devil. If someone in marketing at one of those companies came upon your web site, would they be okay with that claim?

    Regardless of the validity of your client list, it represents a serious disconnect from the way you're marketing yourself elsewhere. It's fine to go after the bottom of the market with sites starting at $600, and of course it's great to do work for multinational clients with much bigger budgets, but you can't reasonably market yourself to both with the same web site.
    Vapr_Arts and hiitsme like this.

  9. #8
    Junior Member Geeky Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    54061
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That would make a bit of sense if you're marketing yourself as a developer and not a designer. However, you're not only not marketing yourself as a developer, but you're specifically saying things that indicate that you're marketing yourself as a designer. That makes your usage of a template much worse, since designers are held to a higher standard and with good reason (you're supposed to be designers...as a developer, I get to say that).

    If you change your copy and base it more on development, then okay. That's going to require a rethink of your entire site, though.
    I totally agree with you, but the problem I've been facing is that most of my clients who look for web "developers" keep looking for web "designers." What I have realized is that most people, specially small businesses, don't know the difference, and therefore, search for web designers when they actually need web developers.

    Having said that, the only reason I use the word "designers" is mainly for SEO purposes.

  10. #9
    Junior Member Geeky Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    54061
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by khenney View Post
    This would seem to be at odds with the client list on your web site. You're claiming to have globally known companies as clients (BP, Castrol, Michigan State University, the Sunday Times, and Tiger Balm) but advertising $600 web sites on Facebook and describing a design/development process using pre-made themes that companies of that size would not be comfortable with.

    Maybe you've done work for those clients as part of a different team or at a past job? I'm finding it very hard to believe that those are clients of Geeky Devil. If someone in marketing at one of those companies came upon your web site, would they be okay with that claim?

    Regardless of the validity of your client list, it represents a serious disconnect from the way you're marketing yourself elsewhere. It's fine to go after the bottom of the market with sites starting at $600, and of course it's great to do work for multinational clients with much bigger budgets, but you can't reasonably market yourself to both with the same web site.
    I've done work for these clients when I lived in Dubai for a few years. They all have regional offices there (just in case you didn't know, it's called Globalization).

    To answer your question, yes, I would love for any marketing member of these companies to contact me, so that I can prove to them and work with them again

    As for the $600, where does it say that? I charge $3,000+ per website and some have been over $10,000 per website.
    Last edited by Geeky Devil; May 06th, 2016 at 03:26 PM.

  11. #10
    Junior Member Geeky Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    23
    Member #
    54061
    Liked
    4 times
    Looks like I'm getting a lot of hate on this forum lol

    Let me explain something. I've been a senior level marketer for multinationals and governments for over 13 years and in 3 continents. I have contacts that know my work and give me projects, as well as refer me to other, so that not something I'm concerned about.

    My question in this forum was about whether my website needs any additional information, whether it's easy to navigate through, etc.

    Kapeesh?
    khenney likes this.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com