Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By khenney

Thread: ShapeHost - Windows & Linux VPS - Up to 32GB RAM - SSD - Cloud Hosting

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

ShapeHost - Windows & Linux VPS - Up to 32GB RAM - SSD - Cloud Hosting

Hello,

We have a new, fresh design on https://www.shape.host

Can you search through the pages and let me know what are your thoughts on our design?

Also, I thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Thank you!

Member #
    Anyone here?
    Last edited by ShapeHost; May 24th, 2016 at 08:48 AM.

Member #
    when i looked at it on my laptop i thought it was great but from my cellphone it was... punishingly long...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Other than having the background color of the sub-menu be different than the background color of the navigation menu and having the text on your web hosting plans stand out more, I like it. It loads fast, I know what it's about by both the domain name and going to the website, it's easy to navigate and it has a clean and simple design which I tend to like.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It looks like a theme to me. Is it? If so, how did you customize it?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by water_n_bones View Post
    when i looked at it on my laptop i thought it was great but from my cellphone it was... punishingly long...
    Yes, that is right. I haven't made 2 different versions of the website, I tried as hard as possible to resize everything on the fly, so from mobile, yes it is long.

The thing is that when people buy a web hosting service they don't do it from mobile usually. This is the kind of niche that isn't too big on the mobile market.

Quote Originally Posted by LearnWebsiteDesign.com View Post
    Other than having the background color of the sub-menu be different than the background color of the navigation menu and having the text on your web hosting plans stand out more, I like it. It loads fast, I know what it's about by both the domain name and going to the website, it's easy to navigate and it has a clean and simple design which I tend to like.
    Regarding the sub menu color, I might changed it. I tried different versions, I am still not decided. What do you mean about the Web Hosting plans, stand up more? Could you please take a screenshot, as I don't quite understand. Thank you for all the other thoughts! I really appreciate!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It looks like a theme to me. Is it? If so, how did you customize it?
    The theme is heavy modified, it doesn't look like the original at all. It is on Wordpress and to customize it, I had to work with the HTML and CSS files of the theme and also had to work with PHP and Javascript to modify Wordpress.

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate it!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That doesn't really answer my question. Which theme is it originally? Wordpress isn't a theme...it's a "content management system."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That doesn't really answer my question. Which theme is it originally? Wordpress isn't a theme...it's a "content management system."
    Looks like it's Satria: Indonez Theme - WP - Satria
    ShapeHost likes this.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Exactly, that's the Satria theme.

The Wordpress version, because they also have HTML version of it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, here's my take:

Now that we know it's a theme...and at least you were honest about it and didn't put up a fuss or try to belittle anyone, so good on you for that...there's really not much I can say about it. You're a host, you sell VPSes and shared hosting, and there really isn't that much about you here. Your blog has generic advice that really doesn't serve any useful purpose and there's not a lot that can be gathered.

The bigger issue, however, is your pricing. I customized a VPS based on the closest available specs to my dedicated server (8 core CPU, 8 GB RAM); I had to reduce my storage space to 500 GB and I don't have any RAID options, but then you usually don't get the latter with a VPS so I understand that. I got a great deal of $105.64! Oh wait...the $105.64 was weekly?!?!?!? Who charges weekly? When I switched to monthly, I was quoted $260.29. I also didn't get to pick the OS...in my case, since I'm a .NET developer, I'd want a Windows OS.As of right now, I'm paying $221.00 a month for mine, and while I don't have SSD drives, I have four 1 TB drives in a RAID10 so my server is reasonably fast and more importantly has some redundancy. So I'm getting better value from my dedicated than I would from your VPS.

I'm not happy about this, either; as much as I love and am incredibly loyal to my host (Sectorlink), the one thing I have said for the past several years about the hosting industry is that it needs 3 or 4 strong competitors to benefit those of us who are developers and designers. I don't mean "strong" in the sense of "really big company in the EIG vein"...I mean "strong" as in "high service quality offering at a reasonable price while the host can still make a decent profit." Shape may or may not be the former...I haven't used you guys. You have a way to go before you become the latter.

Remove Ads