Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Please Review My New Website. TQ!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please Review My New Website. TQ!

Please Review My New Website. TQ!

http://www.wordsdomatter.net/

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    At least to me, many elements on the homepage look uncomfortably too big. It is also very confusing that clicking on the mysterious three dot menu on the homepage scrolls down to the middle of the page instead of showing a normal drop-down menu. Also, it is very hard to understand the structure of the website, clicked around for some time and could barely get it - normal users are generally less motivated. Needs more work in terms of user friendliness.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    The 3 dot menu is only good to view on widescreen browser. Thanks for advice. I'll working on it.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    It looks a bit to cluttered and busy to me.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) It's a theme. This theme. https://en-ca.wordpress.org/themes/justwrite/

2) It doesn't really offer anything of value. It's just a bunch of things other people have said. I suspect I'm in the minority on this, but whenever I hear someone quoting someone else without adding their own input, I usually assume that person is a complete idiot and incapable of independent thought. No offense, but your site feeds that idiot brigade material.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree with the 3 dot (or 3 line) menu suggestions. I only see it relevant (& useful) when the site is on a mobile device. As for the idiot brigade thing... people make site's for a million reasons ranging from completely stupid & idiotic to straight original and this is not idiotic. I can see your renditions of quotations being used all over facebook. Everyone in here has seen a FB post that has some quotation in it such as these. This just equals more exposure to your site for people who do actually look for quotations at times. So why not try to make some money giving people what people do have a use for.

Quotations do have value especially since you see them posted all over social media sites. I'm just not totally sure if you will get clicks for your advertisers from it. At least not until you library become huge where dam near every quote is present. A quotation (image) database of sorts. I see you also have the quotations in text form which will make them searchable so...

I wish you luck with it....

People remember websites are technically just art. There is no bad art. With so many sites & so many ideas basically being taken already. You can either find that original idea or take an idea and make it better, make people wanna use yours over the others. And I think this is what you should consider.

Facebook even allows gifs somewhat now. Giphy has gotten larger. & it is basically the same type of thing.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Oh also to add.... the site name is perfect for haters such as has been shown in here cause dude......Words Do Matter.... (lol)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Unmatched View Post
    I agree with the 3 dot (or 3 line) menu suggestions. I only see it relevant (& useful) when the site is on a mobile device. As for the idiot brigade thing... people make site's for a million reasons ranging from completely stupid & idiotic to straight original and this is not idiotic. I can see your renditions of quotations being used all over facebook. Everyone in here has seen a FB post that has some quotation in it such as these. This just equals more exposure to your site for people who do actually look for quotations at times. So why not try to make some money giving people what people do have a use for.
    I've seen people quote others on Facebook as well. That doesn't make it an intelligent thing to do. It's not inspirational. It's not profound. It's just lazy.

My wife used to have a boss who did that as well. "I believe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson who once said..."
    My answer to him once: "Great. How about telling me what you think?"
    Him: "What?"

That told me everything I needed to know.
    Quotations do have value especially since you see them posted all over social media sites. I'm just not totally sure if you will get clicks for your advertisers from it. At least not until you library become huge where dam near every quote is present. A quotation (image) database of sorts. I see you also have the quotations in text form which will make them searchable so...
    Value is relative. This is something most people don't understand, although you've illustrated it somewhat with your comment. You may find use from this site, which means it has potential value to you. I don't. A particular advertiser may or may not....in all likelihood, I suspect "probably not", although not entirely for the reason you're possibly thinking i.e. transient traffic seeking quotes. The reason is that the quotes themselves represent unoriginal i.e. duplicate content. It's going to be nearly impossible to generate converting search traffic without original content. It's hard enough when you have a good idea.
    People remember websites are technically just art. There is no bad art. With so many sites & so many ideas basically being taken already. You can either find that original idea or take an idea and make it better, make people wanna use yours over the others. And I think this is what you should consider.
    I beg to differ on the "bad art" thing, if only because I see people buying paintings of rectangles for 7-8 digits a pop. That's not art. That's 30 seconds in Photoshop on a slow day.

Making something better and original? Absolutely. I'll gladly support and encourage and help anyone who comes up with one, and there are a few on here that have done exactly that. A WordPress site full of quotes? Not so much.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I beg to differ on the "bad art" thing, if only because I see people buying paintings of rectangles for 7-8 digits a pop. That's not art. That's 30 seconds in Photoshop on a slow day.

Making something better and original? Absolutely. I'll gladly support and encourage and help anyone who comes up with one, and there are a few on here that have done exactly that. A WordPress site full of quotes? Not so much.
    I have to disagree, but also agree. There is no bad art, as art is subjective to the person making it and someone buying it. What is art to me may not be to you. Although I do find it insane paying a ton of money for the 30sec Photoshop job like you mentioned.

Now to who said building a site is like art, building a website is in no way art. It is design, which is a science. Like I have said a million times, with art you can throw a splash of red paint down the middle of a canvas and have no reason to other than "I wanted to do it." However with a website, and design in general, you have to have a reason for doing EVERYTHING. Making that font 2px bigger? Better have a reason why!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here are a few things to think about...
    1. The logo is really small on the top header. I think it would be beneficial to create a horizontal version of it, or rather, use a much larger version above where you have the subscription box.
    2. The site is flooded with Ad space for rent boxes. I wouldn't recommend doing this until your site gets quite a bit of traction.
    3. The color palette in general is super template-y. I would work to brand it more to you.
    4. It would be beneficial to get at least 10 quotes per category, to beef up the content of your site.
    5. I think you need some sort of description of the site on the homepage. It took me a while to figure out what the site was about.

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads