Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bleau canon

Thread: Redesigned my portfolio site, would love some critique

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Redesigned my portfolio site, would love some critique

Hi Guys. New to the forum. I thought I would leave a bunch of feedback on other threads before I asked for critique

Here goes...

I recently redesigned my graphic design website, and would love some critique.

Some background... I've been a designer for 13+ years. My niche is graphics for christian churches and ministries. I've gone through maybe 4 or 5 redesigns over the years, but for this version, I really wanted to simplify and built something that was more client friendly, eye catching, and just faster/more SEO friendly. I was sick of how bloated and template-y WP sites get honestly. Also, at least 50% of my clients are native spanish speakers, so I wanted to address them. Hence, the spanish portion of the site once you click "espaņol".

The site is designed on webflow, but I built it from the ground up basically. No theme used.

Graphic Design for Churches & Ministries | Studio 35 Design

Is it easy to navigate? What do you think about the background videos? Does it flow from page to page? Is the portfolio section easy to review? Are there any elements that aren't easy to read/see? Any additional feedback that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    I'm not one for video backgrounds, especially on a bad isp day, your web host running slow, etc. They seem to get flaky acting and slow a site and make it bounce trying to load. In my opinion they also cause a distraction from the main content of a site.

Other than that, you have a nice looking and user friendly site.

Good luck with it.
    studio35design likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi bleau canon! Thanks for your comments. Slowness can definitely be an issue with background videos, I hear you. What I did to address that is the following:
    1 - Compressed them pretty significantly. Currently the site loads in under 1 second.
    2 - Defaulted the backgrounds to background images on tablets and mobile devices.
    3 - Used webflow's blazing fast cdn and caching system.

The site is rated as A-95 for site speed when using tools.pingdom.com.

As for distraction from main content... I really like the dynamic nature of them. I did do quite a bit of research sourcing videos that would be more neutral and abstract, and overall appealing but not distracting. I hope to have accomplished that

Thanks again!

Remove Ads