Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By websitedesignguru

Thread: Website Design Site

Junior Member websitedesignguru's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Website Design Site

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could critique my custom website design site for my company in Boca Raton. The website is pretty self explanatory, but in case you need a short description, it offers website development, Wordpress integration and iPhone/Android apps. I thought I would give a brief summary for anyone who cares. Anyway, let me know what you think! I am looking forward to the responses, as I spent a great deal of time making this. Feel free to be as brutal as you want also.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    There's not a lot of information there, and as a prospect I'd be concerned that the bulk of your content focuses on referral programs and loyalty discounts rather than the actual work you do and how it could benefit me as a client.

Your services section consists of 14 words and 4 icons? Ironically, 4 of the words are "Rank High on Google" which will be a pretty tough feat with this amount of content.

What's going on with the Portfolio? First, there are pictures of websites (fine) without links to the actual sites (red flag). So I clicked on the first three items in the portfolio and Googled the company names:
    • International Materials - that's their logo, but it's not their website. There actual website is online at International Materials Inc., designed by another company.
    • Collateral Management LLC - Also not their site (it's here: Collateral Management | Appraisal Management Company | Nationwide AMC) and not their clipart logo. The existence of typos like "Mack a Payment" are another tipoff that this isn't a real site.
    • The Juice Mafia - I can't find a site for this company, or any mention of a company by that name doing business in Boca Raton. The address and phone number is made up, the logo looks like more clipart, and all of the content is lifted from the SUJA Juice website (you even left their name and logo in a few places).

I stopped digging at that point, but it appears your portfolio doesn't have any actual client work in it?

Most of this can be fixed if this is a legitimate business - maybe you're just starting out and don't have any notable client work to show.

I'd add much more content about your services and who you are, many people are leery of doing business with an anonymous stranger that doesn't put their name anywhere on the site.

I'd also explain your portfolio better - if those are mock redesigns you undertook on your own, you need to make it clear that they don't represent actual work for those clients, otherwise you're going to find yourself in an embarrassing situation when someone calls Collateral Management for a referral.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi, I appreciate your feedback, but you are incorrect with your statements. I did in fact make all of the websites listed. The website for International Materials is finished, but the client is on vacation, so I can't upload it yet. The image for Collateral Management is an early mockup, but I will change it to the updated one. Thank you for letting me know actually. Juice Mafia is finished, but I used placeholder content. The client is yet to update the information correctly. I was looking for feedback. not terribly presumptuous and erroneous statements.

However, you are correct that I should add the url. I was already planning on doing that and I will definitely add it soon.

There is nothing ironic about me offering SEO. Obviously the lack of content lessens the internal SEO, but I figured it is worth the tradeoff of having a simple and easy to use website that is easy on the eyes.
    Last edited by websitedesignguru; Jun 24th, 2016 at 02:47 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by websitedesignguru View Post
    I am looking forward to the responses, as I spent a great deal of time making this. Feel free to be as brutal as you want also.

Quote Originally Posted by websitedesignguru View Post
    I was looking for feedback. not terribly presumptuous and erroneous statements.
    I'm sorry if I seemed presumptuous, but consider that given the extremely limited amount of information available, a potential client might draw the same conclusions.

Going back to look at Collateral Management I can see that there is more similarity than gave it credit for - the changes to the logo and other elements may have caused me to rush to judgement there. But the rest the things I pointed out still stand. The version of Collateral Management you're showing has typos in it and the Juice Mafia mockup has another companies name and logo in the content. I think you'd be better served by putting only work that's completely finished and polished in your portfolio, and links to live sites help show that you can design in a way that's functional as well as pleasing to the eye.

I looked through your other sites and couldn't find them all online, but I did find Preferred Fundraising and Down to Business. Both of those credit WebBoca with the design, which I assume may be another business name you've used? If so, it might be worth mentioning that, as a prospective client could easily find the same thing and become confused about authorship.

There are a great number of shady operators in our industry and clients are understandably wary. Establishing trust should be one of your main goals, and I'd start by adding a name, address, and phone number. Everyone wants to know who they're doing business with, and not sharing basic information (even the domain is registered privately) raises suspicions. If my suspicions were unjustly raised in this case, maybe it's a good indicator that you're not representing yourself in the best possible way.

Or maybe I'm just a jerk, but you asked for feedback and what I just gave you was way more valuable than critiquing your font and color choices, so do with it what you will.
    Kevin Henney
    CRUCIAL CREATIVE
    Web Development - Graphic Design - Branding

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I apologize if I was coming off defensively. I truly am glad that you took the time to give an in depth feedback of everything, besides just fonts and color choices. This is why I wanted anyone replying to this thread to be brutally frank, so I can fix mistakes. I was just a little irritated that you jumped to conclusions too quickly and focused almost entirely on incorrect assumptions. That said, you do make some excellent points. I wholeheartedly appreciate your honest opinion. No beef on my end, man.
    Last edited by websitedesignguru; Jun 24th, 2016 at 03:36 PM.
    satindertech likes this.

Remove Ads