Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jon 0

Thread: Website review please

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Website review please

Surrey Woodsmiths

I am an independent furniture designer and decided, rather than promoting other big websites in order to get traffic, it might be better to put my own up and focus on getting traffic to that instead.

Please take a look at my site and let me know if you think there are areas I should focus on improving. I am new to this and would greatly appreciate your expert advice

Many thanks

Jon

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    It is a decent website for a small business, nothing fancy, but you don't really need that.

The main things that need improvement:
    I would consider getting a new logo to build a brand. Something that can be associated with boutique furniture, unique style, something appealing. Just text is not bad, it definitely does not look cheap, however, there is a potential for something better.
    White text on light grey homepage header image is not readable - there needs to be some contrast. All small things are important - since you want to be perceived as meticulous, detail-focused furniture maker, the website has to represent that. Also, add more white space between elements, in many places it looks to crowded.
    Let the homepage tell a story - tell more why potential customers choose you (in a concise way), show a couple of testimonials there.
    If possible, have some pictures of your products taken not in a white background, but in a nice real life setting. That makes a HUGE difference.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I would agree with all the comments that hiitsme made. I think you have a great start and it looks pretty decent. The text on the grey background really gets lost. A logo would help a lot. Perhaps if nothing else if you had the name superimposed over a piece of wood it would make it look better.

I like the message when you say:

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE CHARACTER AND AUTHENTICITY TO YOUR HOME, IF YOU ARE TIRED OF THE SAME OLD MASS PRODUCED ITEMS, CREATE YOUR OWN STYLE BY CHOOSING SURREYWOODSMITHS, THE PLACE FOR UNIQUE HAND CRAFTED CONTEMPORARY FURNITURE.

I did try to show what it would look like with about 5 spaces between each sentence but the software took out the spaces. Another option would be in a list form like this

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE CHARACTER AND AUTHENTICITY TO YOUR HOME,
    IF YOU ARE TIRED OF THE SAME OLD MASS PRODUCED ITEMS,
    CREATE YOUR OWN STYLE BY CHOOSING SURREYWOODSMITHS,
    THE PLACE FOR UNIQUE HAND CRAFTED CONTEMPORARY FURNITURE.

Another option would be to just capitalize a little less and it would look like this which seems far more readable to me.

If you want to give character and authenticity to your home. If you are tired of the same old mass produced items. Create your own style by choosing SURRYWOODSMITHS. The place for unique hand crafted contemporary furniture.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Stylistically I really like it, but I think it needs to be more direct with a Call to Action!

For example, you've got "Contemporary Mirrors" and under that "More Info". Then you click that you've a second page with got "Learn More".

You need to make it clearer that things are actually for sale, not just a gallery of artwork!

Try "Shop mirrors" on the home page, then on the second page "Buy Now / from 130.00"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you all for taking the time to review the site and offer suggestions. Its always invaluable having a fresh set of eyes to review your work!

I totally agree with all your comments so will experiment with the banner text to make it more visible and add extra space around the elements to reduce crowding etc

More calls to action are a great idea, not sure how I missed that!

"Lifestyle" images with gorgeous backgrounds are something I have been looking into too... its challenging finding the perfect location for these but I completely agree about their importance so will bump that up the priority list

Your suggestions have given me plenty to work on for the moment so thank you very much. If you have any other great ideas then I would love to hear them. Its been a busy old time setting everything up whilst working a full time job and juggling other commitments so help from experts is always appreciated

Kind regards

Jon
    sarahswansea likes this.

Remove Ads