Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: To market artwork more effectively - Comparing old and new sites

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

To market artwork more effectively - Comparing old and new sites

Hi Everyone,
    This seems a collection of pretty smart people, so I'll ask for a bit of advice here.
    I am an artist who makes fine art.
    I've had a site that I developed over the years which basically acts as a catalogue of my work. It was never designed to sell dynamically. But now I want to up my game by adding a blogging component and web store. The web store link is a service offered by Square Processing, which handles my credit card traffic.

So I engaged a web-designer/promoter, who has built for me this blogging system. It's based on wordpress.

The objective is to sell more art, with an emphasis on selling reproductions.

The plan is to gather contact information for interested art lovers through a separate activity that is not web-based, then to use blogging to engage and attract those people to my events, where they can get nose-to-nose with the physical work. That is how most art lovers buy art - by seeing it in person.

Would you be so good as to look at these and tell me:
    1)Which is more appealing, visually, and otherwise?
    2)How can I use the best of both to market my work more effectively?
    3)Any other suggestions?

The old website:
    Will Enns Fine Art Gallery

The new website, with blog:
    Okanagan Wine Art

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm a developer, not a designer. But I'll try to answer your questions anyway:

1) The new website looks better. The problem with that statement is threefold:

- It's based on a theme...to wit, this theme. It's a nice, simple theme. However, a designer shouldn't be using any theme (with the possible exception of the stock WP themes as a base to create something custom...which this isn't). As an artist, I get why you'd want a minimalist style, but taking someone else's isn't it.

- Your entire site is based on WP, as opposed to say having your art upfront and then using a blog as secondary content. Your art should be the primary focus. Your opening page should have as much of your top work as is reasonable to fit on the page without say bogging down a cell phone. Right now, I see one painting and a blog post. Doesn't make sense. If anything, the SquareUp cart you're using is a better layout for your art and your site should be loosely based off of it.

- As of right now, you don't have a way to get others to actually see your art in person. It's hard enough to even find how to buy it online...I found it, but I had to look to do it. Most won't bother. If anything, a modified shopping cart with "buy online" and "in person" options makes the most sense here.

2)...Sort of covered it already, but I'll add one thing. You sell your art somewhere physically. Okay, cool. Where? At art shows? In a gallery? Both? Tell people, or else they won't know.

3)...See #1 and #2.
    docmanic likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    We manage several Artist and their websites and their websites work for them. We use a very minimalist Wordpress theme for them called Lifestyle. They do their own updates on their websites.

These are true Artist in oils and all own their own gallery's and also show in other galleries. They get excellent comments on their websites and they tell us everyone enjoys the simplicity and the ease of navigating their sites.

They have very little writing on their landing pages showing their artwork. They also have no sidebars on their sites. They have another site made with the Lifestyle theme that is their blogs. We made subdomains for their blogs with a link from their main sites. Their blogs open in a different window so it's easy for their viewers to return back to their websites.

There are no colors on their websites other than their artwork. They show 3 photos side by side not large photos in lines of three. Under the left hand corner of each piece of artwork is the name of the artwork and a price. They have an Order page to purchase from.

By having black and white text only there is no eye interference when anyone is looking at their beautiful artwork.

Link to the Lifestyle theme. To be able to remove the designer's copy right you have to purchase a plugin from him that does that. The theme is free

If you like the theme let me know and I'll tell you how we made a full size banner image on top, full page width and some of the Photoshop work we did for the theme. We've also used this theme for Blacksmith, Coppersmith, Potters
    and Basket Makers.

We did their SEO and they did their SEM for their sites. They got their sites listed on every Artist website they could find in the internet that was reputable. We have all of them on a vps because of the traffic their sites receive.

Good Luck

Lifestyle Theme
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 17th, 2016 at 01:51 PM.
    docmanic likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post

If you like the theme let me know and I'll tell you how we made a full size banner image on top, full page width and some of the Photoshop work we did for the theme.

Lifestyle Theme
    Thanks you for your response. I'ts tough to get thoughtful feedback.
    Can you post a link to one or more of those sites?
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post

If you like the theme let me know and I'll tell you how we made a full size banner image on top, full page width and some of the Photoshop work we did for the theme.

Lifestyle Theme
    Thank you for your reply. It's tough to get a thought out response.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    TheGame1264,
    Thank you for your insight. You have offered much to digest.
    I asked her to build me blog functionality as an adjunct to my existing efforts, with the possibility to make future additions if results justified it.
    So far I have made only one blog post, which I have not pushed yet. Hence, the paucity of content.
    I am not persuaded blogging is a worthwhile endeavour at this time, but must try it to find out. The plan is outlined in original post.
    Again, thanks.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    HEY! I used about 6 or 7 of my brain cells too, ya know!

One thing I wanted to mention: I like your art. It's unique. I'm no artist, but you've got something that stands out. If you can do this legally in BC (and I'm not sure if you can), set up on a busy street corner or park on a nice day. Get a 10x10 tarp setup or something similar, set up some of your wine paintings, and get your salesman on.
    bleau canon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by docmanic View Post
    Thank you for your reply. It's tough to get a thought out response.
    Thanks!
    We have a strict rights to privacy policy and cannot link any of our clients websites or businesses on a public form.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post

One thing I wanted to mention: I like your art. It's unique. I'm no artist, but you've got something that stands out. If you can do this legally in BC (and I'm not sure if you can), set up on a busy street corner or park on a nice day. Get a 10x10 tarp setup or something similar, set up some of your wine paintings, and get your salesman on.
    We have a small village about 1 hour from us that's an art community. It's small with a few art galleries, antique stores, a couple of potters and an 1800's general store. Each season they have a one day outdoor arts fair that draws 100's of people to it. They tell me their websites actually draw attention to their work and that's what brings them to the art sales and that's where they sell most of their art work,
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 17th, 2016 at 10:58 PM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    TheGAME1264:
    Sorry, not used to this forum. Didn't get my replies in the right order. Certainly didn't want to minimize your brain cells!

I do that sometimes, though not on a street corner. I spent a week in a hotel lobby recently, where people pay $300 just to sleep. That nicely qualifies clients, and netted me a few nice sales. That's a place where I can collect quite a few contacts. Got about 90 last time for my email/blog list.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post

Sorry, not used to this forum. Didn't get my replies in the right order. Certainly didn't want to minimize your brain cells!

I do that sometimes, though not on a street corner. I spent a week in a hotel lobby recently, where people pay $300 just to sleep. That nicely qualifies clients, and netted me a couple of nice sales.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads