Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Howdy all, great site you have here! I was windering if someone could give me a little help in designing my site.
    My site: gthing.net

I am using netobject fusion to do the design and I've managed to figure everything out except this ones thing. My site uses frames across the top and on the left side, because netobjects would not allow me to reference html to a table cell, only to a frame. My main frame is an external html which contains my blog. This part of the website is updated by Blogger.

Now look at any other page on my site but the main page and you will see a little window at the right with "whats new".

Problem is, I can't get that to show up in my main page. I don't want to add the html to my blog template. Is there a way I could put the external html from my blog into a cell? I don't want to make any more frames. In fact, if I could reference a cell to external html I would probably get rid of frames altogether.

Does this make sense? Please give me suggestions.

Member #
    Well i understand why you want to use frames, most people use some server-side language to make websites that incorporate outside sites without frames.
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    What's with all the popup's on your site? Aside from that, the text on your site is very hard to read. Black text on a gray background, that's hard on the eyes. As far as referencing other files, you should check out server side includes.

Server Side Includes
    Depending on what capabilities your web host has, you can use SSI in PHP, ASP, or even SHTML (which almost every host supports).

Here's a tutorial on using SSI in PHP. Basically it looks like this:

index.php says it is made up of three files:
    ------------
    header.php
    -------------
    content.php
    ---------------
    footer.php
    ---------------

You can use header.php and footer.php all over your site. If you want to change the navigation at the top of your site, just change header.php, and the header will be updated on every page of your site instantly.

Member #
    header.php --> put your banner here and your navigation menu horizontally
    -------------
    content.php --> put your normal site content in here
    ---------------
    footer.php --> put your navigation bar in text form here, plus a contact link and a copyright notice etc.

Advantages
    no need for nasty frame lines (or for nasty frames for that matter)
    reasonably easy to set up.

You have a few problems with frame targets on your site as well.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Hmmm....thanks for the info. I didnt realize there were any popups because I'm using Mozilla (which has popupblocking) to view the site. That's pretty lame, though.
    I'll look into the PHP stuff. I've never done it before, but I guess it's about time to learn.

Member #
    Death to the popups!!
    The future will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

Member #
    ok dude, THROW EVERYTHING OF THAT AWAY!!!!!

frames are sick...and because the site is full-screen there are resolution problems, somebody with low resolution doesnt have any problems, but ppl with a big resolution (like me ) have an empty space there...oh god stop with that layout...

Member #
    Waste your time doing something else...

Remove Ads