Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My first site!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My first site!

Please, all feedback is welcome!

JumpJet ? Real Estate

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    My less than expert feelings were that it was rather unique and if I went to the site I would remember it. In a world where so many sites look like carbon copies of each other with only the photos and text changed I would see that as a good thing.

I thought the guy with the rocket on his back with his head cut off looked a little off because of his head missing. It looked a little less polished than many real estate sites but that did give it a uniqueness that I think is a plus. I liked the site.

Member #
    Thank you for the feedback!

With the guy with his head cut off, I wanted it to be kind of ambiguous and focus more on the suit and the jetpack... it was an artistic choice I guess. But, I see what you mean. I'll try doing some rough drafts with a head on it and see what it looks likes. I'll have to resize everything but if it looks better, I'm willing to do it.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by it looked less polished than others sites and why that is a plus?

Also, any suggestions on how I could improve it?

This is my first site so I'm quite happy that you liked it overall!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Since it's your first site, I'm going to...treat it exactly as I would any other site, since there's no way for an average user to know your experience or lack thereof, nor is it relevant. I'm also a programmer, not a designer...so I see things differently than most.

I get what you're trying to do...you're trying to avoid the sterility that exists with just about every other real estate site. You're trying to distinguish yourself. I understand that. The problem is that you've done so by starting with this theme and creating a site that is disjointed and difficult to navigate and focus on any one thing.

I'd start with the logo. It actually looks better in the mobile version than it does in the desktop version, although it isn't really good either way. The font you're using would be more suited for say a coming-of-age sitcom on the Disney channel than it would for a real estate logo. A simple font would do much better here. If you have to be arty for this, use something from here: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/l...show_more_tags . You may want to try this in particular: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/C...0%5D=high-tech (or something similar...this is only one suggestion). On the desktop, get the guy out of there completely and if anything, use him as part of a full-width banner.

There's no scrollbar. I didn't know i could scroll down until I used my mouse wheel. You need to convey that people can scroll.

There's some weird effect on the site where the footer menu is fixed and doesn't show up until I scroll down. It looks off.

Properties ? JumpJet <-- the map doesn't work.

This looks like it could turn into something different, but you've got a ways to go.
    larry909 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Everything GAME said, plus the smooth scroll is janky. It pauses and jumps a lot while scrolling.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Can you give me an example

Member #

Exclamation

Can you give me an example of a site that pulls off what I'm trying to do?

And do you have any ideas for the logo past changing the font?

And what's wrong with betheme? Or are you saying that I'm trying to be different but using a commonly used theme?

The footer effect is supposed to be like that... it's called a parrallax effect I believe. You think it would look better plain?

Why do you feel the site is difficult to navigate, can you be specific?

Also, could you take a screenshot of the map not working... the search function works fine on my end. It only works for Houston, if you typed an address outside of there, that might be why.

So there's nothing you liked lol? The site is meant to target younger professionals in their 30s... so please tell me you're old? If not, looks like I got a lot of work to do -_-

Roe: how can I fix the scroll? It seems okay on my end...

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    The scrolling seems to work ok for me. I think the fonts go well with the general look of the site but I can't say I was crazy about the font you used for the Jumpjet title.

I think the site would look a little better if you took out some space between the girl in the box and the featured photos.

I think if you had three featured photos instead of two it would look better,

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    To me it looks like the website has not been finished yet or something is missing. The parallax does not look like a typical parallax, it looks like some background colour is missing. Generally, the website looks disorganized, without clear focal points, users do not know where to look at next. It has a potential, but needs some help from a designer who can help to put things together nicely.

Member #
    Well it's not completely done yet, there are a few pages I haven't made yet and the footer was kinda slapped together... but it is mostly done (or was until I came here lol). The main focus of the website is supposed to be the search function. People are supposed to search for houses and ask for more more info giving me leads etc. The rest of the website is supposed to just be stuff (which is the part that's not there yet, like the blog and buying guides and home valuation tools) to get people onto the site to use the search function.

I did have some help putting together the site but, at this point, my budget is spent. I would rather have a good but not perfect product working for me in the market while I earn more money to pUT into the site and have more time to do things myself. Point is, I'd like to make some changes, but it needs to go "live" soon too. I would really appreciate doable suggestions. Like telling me that you don't like themes and I should custom code the whole site is probably not realistic for me at this point. I was quoted 35k to "custom" build a site. But things like the logo looks weird without a head is something doable. I'm working on that now actually.

When you guys say it feels disjointed and you don't know where to go next, can you be more specific? Like walk me through it as if I was 3. Most people who find the site will be using the search function most of the time I would think...

Check out houstoncondonetwork dot com (don't wanna give him a backlinks ). You can't tell me he has a good looking website... his mobile view had two freaking menus! Yet I know for a fact he does a good amount of business. He is even #1 in Google for search terms like "houston condos" at times. Surely my site looks better than his.... no?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads