Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Could anyone who is sufficiently bored to do so check out my site at http://fmd.port5.com and give me your opinions on it (either here or via email).
    I know it looks a little rough at the moment as it is still really at a beta stage (e.g not all the content is there, CSS fecks in Netscape and some scripts need to be added).
    All opinions are welcome, constructive or destructive.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Oh, but we all have lives. We're never bored. (Who am I kidding?)

To be quite honest with you, it looks pretty Front-Page-circa-2000-ish. There's very little graphically to look at, other than a series of icons that look like they were ripped off of Google's image search. The shades of blue that you use also tend to be rather loud.

It wouldn't have been bad 3 or 4 years ago, and for "free design" it's not too bad at all, but it just doesn't do it for me. It just needs some more contrast among backgrounds and some better graphic work (don't worry, I'm no expert on this either.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Am using Mozilla, so it may not be rendering as you intend it, but there are three things that immediately hit me at 800x600 (remember: you should still design for 800x600 as many people still use it, if not web designers!!)

a) it seems to render at about 900-1000 pixels wide. Hence I have a horizontal scrollbar, and not just to read some unnecessary content. I need to scroll to read your main body text. You should avoid this sort of thing.
    b) the strange "ragged left" nature of the content boxes... it looks very odd. What is the plan regarding that white space? To fill it? Or leave it there in the centre of the screen, like a picture with a chunk cut out of it?
    c) black text on dark blue background.... what hope has somebody with poor vision of reading it?
    d) the icons at left look like cheap clip-art. You need to get some individuality here. If I were looking for somebody to design my site the first thing I would look at is the design of theirs...

Sean

Member #
    Thanks for the replies.

As I said before the CSS is a bit dodged with Netscape (and therefore Mozilla) which I will need to work on. The icons on the left are basically just cheap clipart and are really just there for layout.

I probably will end up getting rid of the wide multi-tone boxes as 8x6 compatibility is important (and they look a bit dated tbh).

Feel free to pull it apart even more

Member #
    OK,

1. The logo takes up a huge amount of space at the top of the screen, it is not lined up with anything else on the page, it sits slightly right of the menu boxes below it. Maybe make it smaller, and re-vamp it a little to give it that professional look.

2. As above, the image links to the left are terrible, need to change them, no offence, but they are tacky!

3. The main content area should flow from top to bottom in a well laid out manner.

Overall: You have some content, get some resonable graphics or create them yourself, re-design your logo slightly, completely overhaul the layout and I think you could have yourself a tasty site!!
    The future will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

Member #
    I agree with what's been said. On top of that, I don't like the box you have for your main content. It's divided up into 4 rectangles, each a slightly different shade of blue, and there is no padding between each of the cells! The top two run together worse than the other two. Also, the scroll bar in the bottom right box doesn't look good either.

You should start with a color scheme, and design your site using select colors. www.colorschemer.com/online is a good tool to find colors that work well together.

Member #
    Make a nav, a center box, and a banner box, Round the edges and get rid of the cheasy images and it will make a world of difference.

Remove Ads