Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hiitsme
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: First project!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

First project!

Hi all, just wanted to see what you think of my website Pinwheel

It's an image hosting website I've been working on for a while, and I must say, it's been really fun.

It's still unfinished, there are a lot of features to add and a lot of optimization to do (for example, I want to add upload from url and drag and drop upload options, and also improve profiles). I think it's too data heavy for phones, especially the profile page (which isn't functioning 100% on mobile yet) but that's all fixable I guess.

Please tell me what you think I should add to the website to improve it more!

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Great first project, I like the simplicity. However, the upload process needs some minor improvements - the "Upload" button does not need to be there until a user selects a file, once a file is uploaded successfully, there needs to be a notification message that everything is ok.

Also, clicking on the logo should return to the homepage.

Member #
    Thanks for the advice! I added the successful upload message and also made the logo return you to the homepage. However, I want to keep the browse and upload buttons there at the same time, so if a user accidentally chooses the wrong image for uploading, he can change it to the right one quickly by clicking the browse button again.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Interesting first project. I tried uploading a picture of my son as an infant:

http://pinwheel.comli.com/uploads/2DfSJzbBTn.JPG

This is at 60% quality.

The problem comes when I uploaded the same image at 100%:
    The Pinwheel page isn’t working

Pinwheel didn’t send any data.
    ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE
    It was the same image.

I like not registering for it. That's a plus.

I guess my major thing, though, is...what purpose does this serve? From a user standpoint, it doesn't offer anything particularly unique. As a learning experience and a means of being able to pick up future projects from others for you, it might have a purpose. I'm not sure where you're going with this. Since you appear to have hand-coded this (or at least heavily customized something), that's about the best angle you have. Since you're not using WP or Bootstrap or any of the other garbage templates/frameworks, that's a major positive.
    Mist Furor likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    In my opinion,you should change the icons of your website. Its not suitable with the form of your website.
    The logo isnt suitable with the font of the words.

Member #
    Thank you, for your feedback.

Junior Member convergentinfoware's Avatar
    Member #
    Your Site is not working

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Interesting first project. I tried uploading a picture of my son as an infant:

http://pinwheel.comli.com/uploads/2DfSJzbBTn.JPG

This is at 60% quality.

The problem comes when I uploaded the same image at 100%:

It was the same image.

I like not registering for it. That's a plus.

I guess my major thing, though, is...what purpose does this serve? From a user standpoint, it doesn't offer anything particularly unique. As a learning experience and a means of being able to pick up future projects from others for you, it might have a purpose. I'm not sure where you're going with this. Since you appear to have hand-coded this (or at least heavily customized something), that's about the best angle you have. Since you're not using WP or Bootstrap or any of the other garbage templates/frameworks, that's a major positive.
    I agree that the website is pretty basic right now with not a lot to offer and you can find a ton of better sites out there for this (imgur for example). My main goal is to add more features (for example cropping the image on image preview), add an option to draw on the image (for marking an important part on it) and stuff like that. But yep, it's all good till I'm learning something new (really having fun doing this in my free time after school)! Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by JUNO team View Post
    In my opinion,you should change the icons of your website. Its not suitable with the form of your website.
    The logo isnt suitable with the font of the words.
    Yeah, I could for sure make the font a bit more fun to suit the background and the logo, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by convergentinfoware View Post
    Your Site is not working
    Can you be a bit more specific, please? A simple it's not working doesn't help. If anything you tried to upload was greater than 4.5 mb, the image possibly won't upload (max upload is set to 5mb, I want to make it unlimited but the free host I'm using doesn't allow that).
    Last edited by Mist Furor; Oct 31st, 2016 at 01:40 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Can't get your site to load up for me. Tried several different times throughout the day, but its given me the "failed to open page, server not responding" each time.

Remove Ads