Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: your thoughts?

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hello all i just found this site and wanted some feed back on this site...

http://amber-designs.com/

tnx for your input

Member #
    not bad -- nice and neat
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Not a bad design. It's simple, but the orange is something that you don't see a lot. The logo you have looks a little weird where it's placed, it's not centered or left aligned, it's just kind of "there". Also, I don't like the mouseover effects you have: making the text smaller. It moves the whole navigation.

You may want to give the site some more eye candy. A more graphical banner would be a good start. Nice work so far, welcome to WDF.

Member #
    Yeah you need to do something about your nav, otherwise it looks pretty good
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I think it's a reasonably decent start. I wouldn't call this a finished product by any stretch of the imagination, however.

My thoughts:

1) Lose the Times New Roman. Times New Roman is the spawn of the devil. If you want to use Arial, use it all the way across. This will solve both your navbar issue and your text issue.

2) If you're not going to sell hosting as a standalone package, then don't post prices for it at all. It's a very cutthroat industry and unless you're going to hit it from a running start and pump a ton of money in it, don't try to use it as a serious source of revenue (a few extra bucks here and there helps, but you certainly won't become a millionaire overnight as a result of it.)

3) There appears to be a sharp corner at the bottom left of your orange curve.

I think you're on to something...you just need to milk it a little more.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Yeah,
    You also spelt "professional" wrong.

Member #
    It's certainly a good start to a good clean looking web site.

1. Definately adjust the NAV so that the font doesn't change from Times New Roman to Arial when you hover over it.

2. As TheGAME1264 said, the curve on the orange border hasn't quite lined up properly.

3. Another spelling mistake on the support page.
    One of our friendly staff will see that your problem is solved in the least amount of time possible, to report your problem please contact us via the contact page or tell us your problem in the form bellow for a prompt response.

Keep tweaking, this could look a tasty site!!
    The future will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You've gotten a lot of nice reviews, so I won't feel too badly about slamming your site. Here goes!

Negatives:
    1. You are using small (12 point or so) Times New Roman, which has poor legibility at 72 dpi. As Game said, lose that font.
    2. The navigation is a mess.

First of all, you've got this rollover font change to sans-serif that causes a pixel-shift of your entire menu. If you're going to do different-sized rollover elements, nest them in a table with fixed row heights so that subsequent elements don't shift.

Also, on the Pricing page, the "Web Hosting" link disappears altogether. I assume by this that people who are interested in your prices will decide against the hosting services? To avoid this problem, you should use server side includes for your navigation (and any other recurring elements) so that you develop them as a separate file or files and include them as a chunk into each page.
    3. The design is awful. I'm partial to orange, but other than that, i don't like a thing about the look of the site. First of all, there is no clear visual separation of the vertical and horizontal bars, either by color, intersection overlap element (logo, for instance), or even shape. There is nothing really interesting going on, either. You've got two graphics in your "frame"... the logo, and the montage on the top right (by far the most interesting thing about the site).
    4. The logo is inconsistent. Make up your mind about the oval... is it part of the logo or not? Personally, I say ditch it... it has nothing to do with your company, and ellipses are the product of logos for all those dot-com companies that failed 2-3 years ago. Also, get rid of the "designs" in the "swoosh" of your logo. Making a word part of the logo creates legibility issues at small scale. The A with the dot is a nice logo, color aside. I would personally make the logo a bold amber color to match your name. Try #FFCC33 or something along those lines... that color should complement your orange well, too.
    5. Your content seems like it was written quickly and without much thought. There is a constant theme of "low pricing" throughout, but the text isn't really compelling. Also, you have cutesy spellings like "graphix" (homepage) and grammatical errors like "widen there Horizons" (information page) that add to the "quick and dirty" feeling of the text.

Additional Comments:

I think that you should seriously rethink the way you're structuring this site.... You're a web designer, after all. You should have a website that stuns potential clients (in a good way).

I think you're on to something with the checker montage in the top right corner. I would like to see a design like that carried out throughout the entire site, using photographs, and squares of a few colors (fitting your color scheme). You could then find a creative way to fit your text content and navigation into the design. I think your navigation should be graphical in nature.

My final comment is that you should put some time into this thing. It appears to me as if you tried to make your site as quickly as possible just to get it done. That's not a bad thing, but now that you've got something, you should take the time to do it right and really do the best job you can do. Start with an idea on paper. Think of a few creative ways of organizing everything. Then develop a strategy for putting that idea into your site and execute it.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    BTW.... I hope you don't take my comments personally, as they're intended to help you with your design.

And welcome to the forums! ;-)

Member #
    Thank you for all your input guys its all been of grate help

transio........

by no means did i take your post as harsh!!!!, infact you are 110% correct.....

everything you say is true lol, the site was thrown up (disaster from start) and some of the other things you have stated are also true BUT! you brought up some SUPER! points that i actualy looked over..

One thing is the text, and how you can tell it was writen with not mutch thought, i went over the whole site with this in mind and your completly right .

Now as for the color used im in complete agrement here LOL i have hated that from day one (not a good start when the guy whonmade it dont like it )

one thing that i did like is the logo (one thing that wasnt down to mw ) but i see what you mean, i really dont like the montage as it is (again thrown together) but i can see what i could do with that idea now

your post really helped, and has given me drive the NEW one i want happy with the overall thing anyway besides looking very plain i just want happy with but you pointed out a lot of things i couldnt see..

tnx again to all

super little forums this

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads