Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Website Design and Functionality Review

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Website Design and Functionality Review

Hi,

I have created a new website using ASP.NET Core. I would like some suggestions and comments on the design of the website and if I can improve some functionality.

It is Home - WriteArgument

I have added functionality so that Users don't need to login to post. I hope this should be helpful.

I am Not a professional web developer but trying to learn ASP.NET for last 1 year.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well..you're using Core. Even I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet, mostly because from what little I've seen of Core it hasn't fully matured yet and I'd need to see something rather significant to get me to switch away from Web Forms. So big up for taking yourself into new and weird places. That's the kind of thing only sick masochistic bastards like myself usually do.

Weird functionality quirk...I can up/downvote a question more than once. As a matter of fact, I "downvoted" a question 11 times, even though I only clicked the button six times.

As far as the design is concerned, I noticed that you're using tables and Bootstrap columns at the same time, and you're using tables to divide sections of content into "rows". A div will do that just as easily as a table will and you'll use about half of the code. Tables are basically for stuff you'd put into an Excel spreadsheet.

I have a weird rule about fonts...I dislike any font that doesn't put all of the digits on the same horizontal plane. Georgia bothers me for this reason: have a look at the digits "96" (or the other way around) and you'll see what I mean. If you must use a serif font, Lora or Droid serif are much better.

I'd also look at using a template in the short run for this (or at least the "inspiration" from one). Most of them have better color schemes (the red and blue just don't work together) and quite a few use Bootstrap, so they should work with a Core project.
    PageHomez likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I was about to have this website in ASP.NET MVC but then I thought, if Core is the new thing then why not Core.

Regarding getting 2 times the number for 1 click, I am still wondering what is happening there. It is Not always 2 times, sometimes if you click like really lightly and take the cursor away then mostly it is 1 count for 1 click. I have checked my function and ajax call but they look fine to me. I think it is something funny with the click handler (that I need to find out).

I'll see if I can do something about the tables.

I'll most probably change the font. Just for a little experiment, I wanted to see if a different font looks better.

I am Not sure what you mean by using a template. Do you mean looking at some of the templates on the internet?

And one more question, do you know if facebook login only works with secured protocol i.e. https, Or does it work with http as well? I am having difficulty in get that working on Production, although it works on local.

Thanks. I appreciate you spending your time on my query.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've never used Facebook login for anything, and don't intend to. Facebook is a platform I neither like nor trust (it also converts horribly, but that's something I'm not allowed to say because the Social Media Experts will jump down my throat for it). So I don't have an answer for you there.

And yes, that's what I meant about templates. Normally, I don't recommend using templates because they're unoriginal works, but in your case you're actually trying to build an idea from scratch that looks as though it could be original.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads