Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Improvements for a beginner?

Absolute beginner here, look only on the homepage, others not done.

bristolbagpiper.co.uk

thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    I like your design. The biggest problem I see is that image files are too large, especially the background. The background image takes far too long to load. There are several free image editors online that will optimize this image for the web.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

just visited your website it is well designed though i want to give some suggestions like,
    1. its better to have navigation bar in one line
    2. and it is good if you can arrange both photos side by side

except these..it is good.

Thanks,
    Tanzil Chauhan

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I thought the design had a bit of a unique quality to it which is good. Does it look highly polished, No, probably not. I think different people expect different things when they look at a web site. If it was a site for a web designer or a multi-national company I would expect to see a polished site. Your site has sort of a folksy look which is good and it is warm.

I would suggest changing the size of the font on the menu so it shows on one line, I might also change the font to a sans serif.

I realize we only partially speak the same language or let's say there are differences in how we use the language. It sentence that reads

Travel to the surrounding area is possible, so be sure to state your location when you contact! Seems to not read well to me.

I would reword it to something like

Please let us know your location when you contact us. Traveling to surrounding areas is possible.

Your site seems responsive for the most part which is good.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Scurry View Post
    not like your site design because its look as vintage design. use proper metas with target keywords and put some quality content.
    First of all, you can safely ignore this comment. It doesn't tell you anything that you can use and it's someone who wants to sound like an expert without actually having to commit to an opinion or a viewpoint that might expose his warts.

With that said, there's one thing I noticed. It looks as though you're trying to use a theme but you haven't been able to get the css files uploaded. One thing you'll want to make note of is that CSS/JavaScript files are CaSe-SeNsItIvE...so if you have the themes saved as Slick-1.6.0/Slick/Slick.css, that's not the same thing as slick-1.6.0/slick/slick.css.

The next thing you'll want to figure out is "what am I trying to do with this site"? It looks as though you're trying to be hired for gigs. Make it easier for people to contact you. Simple change: put your phone number on every page. People like to call to arrange for quotes, book gigs, etc.

Another thing you may want to look at is a "Tour" page, so that people who might want to book you for a gig know when you aren't available (and by extension, when you are). It also may help people to actually see you play live if it's possible so they can book you for their gigs. Mind you, since you play weddings and funerals I'm not sure about the logistics of that.

YouTube. Make yourself some YouTube clips of you playing and marching around and performing. Your gimmick is obviously audio, but it's also visual. You're dressed up in the full Scottish attire, and I'd imagine you do some marching around when it's appropriate, you may interact with the bride and groom at a wedding by playing near them, whatever. If you can get it made, get it made. People like to watch those videos for some reason (at least they do with my father-in-law, who is an Assyrian jazz saxophonist).

Stu and turboguy covered the other things I would have said, although I would add "if you can, try to include a Google map of your surrounding area". Mind you, that's a bit of an advanced concept so that may be a bit too much for what you're trying to accomplish.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi.

I would recommend making a more linear page, with more info, more photos, videos of you playing in full attire, some social media pages, and more contact information, like whatsapp ( who doesn't have it now?) email address (even if you use it just for this page, you can create an email specially for this). Also if you play, an events page would be nice where people can come and check you out.

More info never hurts.

Remove Ads