Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: https://www.codesmite.com - Always looking for critique to improve my website

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

https://www.codesmite.com - Always looking for critique to improve my website

User feedback is really important to me, I would love to know your opinions on my own personal website at

https://www.codesmite.com

I am always looking to improve user experience and aim to provide a clean minimal easy to use website for my users.

Let me know what you think

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    When I land on your home page (as one that comes from a content background) I don't see anything that tells me immediately just what your site is about. That will lose much of your search engine traffic if you get any.

On one of your pages I see that you say that your traffic comes mostly from people that know you through social media. Are you interested in traffic from search engines?

What is the purpose of your site and what do you want to accomplish? Have you done any keyword research and where? It is difficult to advise further without more info.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    I'll add something too what delstu stated. I noticed on your Copyright you have only the sign with no Copyright in front of it. That seemed to be a fad at one time.

I know of an instance where a person almost lost their business because of the same thing on your site. Case went to court and this person had to hire an attorney to keep from losing his business over that Copyright fad.

Judge didn't approve of it, jury didn't approve of it, whether it's right or wrong. It cost this person $15K in attorney and court fees, and the judge gave him 12 hours to change it.

It is a nice looking site though.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'll take a look into the copyright thing, I don't want to take any risks thanks for letting me know.
    Although I was under the assumption it was a just a notice to others and didn't actually affect your copyrights legally. I think that is old laws, you don't even need a copyright notice nowadays I believe.

I think it just means you can prove will of infringement, but doesn't affect the protection of your work.

Background on the site:

The moment I get about 120,000 views a month 12k-20k from organic search engines.
    The rest is from social media shares, being featured on Vice, Webdesignernews and other places.
    A lot of traffic from Reddit.

I agree I could do with a more informative landing page, although 98% of my traffic doesn't land on the front page, mostly the content.

The moment it is just a blog with freebies and articles/tutorials from myself.
    I have started to get exclusive affiliate deals for affiliate marketing which I added recently.
    Currently working on a shop for selling more premium items made by myself. (Juggling content creation and building the shop tricky due to time constraints the moment).

The website is completely from scratch, custom CMS and backend with no frameworks.
    Last edited by codin; Apr 27th, 2017 at 05:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    We copyright and register every website we build. I sent in 5 new copyright registrations today along with 5 $35.00 checks to the copyright office for 5 new business websites.

We saw this make the difference with a professional photographers business and website we manage in court by having the copyright registered. For the average user it probably doesn't matter, but for the artist, photographers, musicians and corporations we manage it's a must have with them.

We manage a restaurant, and eat there ourselves, had their fried chicken recipe copyrighted and then went on to trademark their fired chicken and when they did that it also covered their recipe again.

I suppose it's a personal thing for every individual.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Y'all trademarked fried chicken? Did you use...12 herbs and spices? Or 13?

The problem with your copyright isn't what comes after it (which is what I'm assuming bleau meant instead of "before"). What matters is that you probably don't have anything that you can copyright, as it doesn't appear to be yours. I've noticed several examples like this:

https://www.codesmite.com/article/co...eship-with-css
    Controlling a Spaceship With CSS - ?126Kr?

Now, if you're sharing your content across other sites for "SEO" reasons, you're not doing yourself any favours. If you're sharing to market yourself, you're still not really doing yourself any favours. Your content should be unique to your site.
    bleau canon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post

The problem with your copyright isn't what comes after it (which is what I'm assuming bleau meant instead of "before"). What matters is that you probably don't have anything that you can copyright, as it doesn't appear to be yours. I've noticed several examples like this:

https://www.codesmite.com/article/co...eship-with-css
    Controlling a Spaceship With CSS - ?126Kr?

Now, if you're sharing your content across other sites for "SEO" reasons, you're not doing yourself any favours. If you're sharing to market yourself, you're still not really doing yourself any favours. Your content should be unique to your site.

If you look on that website they ripped my page lol, they are remote linking my images, my demo and even have a link saying click here to view original.

So not sure how you can claim the content isn't mine because you found it on a shady looking chinese content scrapping website lol :S

Their whole website is based on content scrapping.

That article was shared over 55,000 times on social media and that page alone has an insane amount of backlinks (It's hard to keep up with all the content scrappers lol), most my articles get scrapped at some point. Especially that one as it was featured on Vice Motherboard. The PHP7 article on my website is a constant battle with scrapers because of the amount of traffic it recieved.

SEO on my site really isn't a issue, neither is my traffic, it's rather succesful.

Was more looking for feedback on the UX
    Last edited by codin; Apr 28th, 2017 at 04:47 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I didn't say it wasn't yours. I said "it doesn't appear to be yours". The difference is that you're sharing it the way that you are. If you're sharing it the way that you are, then what you're saying is "anyone can do anything they want with it" whether they scrape it, republish it, whatever. You're effectively giving up your intellectual right to the property. If anything, you may want to look at a Creative Commons license to make sure it's properly attributed and you can control (somewhat) how it's shared.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    I don't have a clue what their recipe is, but today for lunch my sisters and me ate there and all three of us ate 2 big chicken breast each, veggies and dessert.

All three of us took home 2 chicken breast, veggies and dessert for each one of our foodies at home for dinner tonight. All that was left at my home "twere empty plates".

From their website.

Image4.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg
    Last edited by bleau canon; Apr 28th, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I didn't say it wasn't yours. I said "it doesn't appear to be yours". The difference is that you're sharing it the way that you are. If you're sharing it the way that you are, then what you're saying is "anyone can do anything they want with it" whether they scrape it, republish it, whatever. You're effectively giving up your intellectual right to the property. If anything, you may want to look at a Creative Commons license to make sure it's properly attributed and you can control (somewhat) how it's shared.

I assume you have never had a content based website with very high traffic?

In no ways I am giving up my intellectual rights to my work.

1. I don't actually share my content, I have 90,000 e-mails subscribers, over 100,000 views a month, my content gets shared all day long everyday by subscribers and new visitors.
    I get submitted to aggregators like webdesignernews.com and Reddit quite often.

2. Any high traffic content based website or blog online gets scraped 10 times a day before breakfast, if you wanted to remove all scraped content from your site from the web you would have to hire someone full time to sit there all day sending cease and desist letters to their webhosts, it's not practical or worth it (especially as most of them are Chinese or Russian and don't care for Copyright laws).

3. It is a huge misunderstanding that scraped content affects your SEO, it really doesn't.

4. Google doesn't penalise high ranking websites for random low-ranking scraper sites that have duplicate content, never has done, probably never will do. The only time you need to be concerned by a scraper is if their website has more domain authority then your own, due to internal linking in your articles, scrapers are just giving you referrall links and nothing more.

5. It is incredibley rare that Google will ever penalise a high rank site for duplicate content, I have heard of it happening once, and it was an extreme case where they had duplicated ther own homepage over 1000 times internally.
    "SEO Gurus" < that I normally refer to as the "Used Car Salesmen" of the Web Development industry boast this myth all the time that duplicate content will cause you no end of problems, they are talking out their arse.

6. If the scraper site has a 0 DA, you can just disavow the link backs through Google Search Console as too many poor refferal links can effect you as it looks like you are trying to cheat Googles algorithms, this is an issue that most high traffic websites have to deal with weekly. I go through my Google Search Console every Wednesday contacting 0 DA websites to remove links to my website or disavowing them if no response, this takes a long time to do but is actually worth it. (Google will normally send you an e-mail warning before penalising you, asking you to go through your backlinks if this occurs).

If the scraper site has a decent DA, they are just increasing your DA with backlinks, if anything at this point they actually become benaficial depending on the quality of the title text attribute in the link (seeing as it is scraped content it should be your own title attribute from your internal link on your site, so if it is bad this is your own mistake)

7. There is a big difference between a scraper website and someone plagiarising your content.
    Scraper websites 99% of the time backlink and credit you, people plagiarising your content will claim it is their own. If someone is claiming my content is their own elsewhere I will send them a cease and desist because thats not ok.

In no way do I feel it is ok for people to copy my content, but chasing around every single low ranking shady scraper site would mean I do nothing else with my time, no high traffic websites bother with this, because it doesn't have any affect on your SEO, if anything if in the rare chance somoene lands on one of the scraper pages you end up getting a referral from one of your own internal links they scraped.

8. If in the very rare chance a scraper site outranks your website, you have far more pressing issues to be dealing with than the actual scraper, this would mean your DA is non-existant.
    Last edited by codin; Apr 29th, 2017 at 04:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads