Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

acl-congleton.co.uk

appreciate any comments criticisms on my site..
    http://www.acl-congleton.co.uk/

thanks

Member #
    I think the way the site is organized is excellent. The information is easy to find and presented clearly.

The exception is the map, which doesn't really do anything other than show the cities where the locations are. Instead, why not allow the user to click on the red dot and take them to a map for that location?

I'm not crazy about the look of the site. I don't like the red tabs (the color or the text), and I really don't like the marquis message with the dark red background. Other than that, it looks okay, and, as I said, nice layout of information.

Member #
    The first thing that I see when I visit the site is an annoying scrolling marquee and a flashing image, these draw too much concentration away from the content. I couldn't even finish reading the paragraphs on the main page without being distracted.
    Also rather than having a section header and then the Nav menu below this, why not integrate the two so that the menu is at the top of the page, especially since they look very similar.
    One last small thing is that you link to the home page when you are already on it, this is a small but can be annoying to less experienced users.
    Overall it's a good design let down by annoyances rather than major flaws.

Banned
    Member #
    thanks these comments have been helpful, i agree the marquee and gif were unnecessary..were added in due to client wanting a 'more lively' feel, also originally had a standard block of text with none of the formatting, he wouldnt budge on any of this. Unfortunately the colors were not my choice so these cannot be altered, will show him these criticisms and hopefully we can lose the excess crap.. hows this look:

http://www.acl-congleton.co.uk

better? any other comments??

Member #
    I agree w/ what's been said so far. I don't really like the tabs at all. They are an odd shape, and they are hard to read. I think this site needs a color scheme first. The gray, red and white dont really work well together. www.colorschemer.com/online is a good place to find colors that compliment each other.

If you changed the color scheme, and redesigned the nav, I think it would be a major improvement.

Member #
    Well, the navigation is easy (finally), but your menu buttons look like ****, its way 2 red and you should give the space between them and on the bottom a lil greyish collor, i`d say #E0E0EE

the letters are looking good btw

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am using Mozilla so am (thankfully, it sounds) spared the Marquee -- make sure you warn the client that scrolling Marquee text will not display on every visitor's browser... might be a way of convincing him to scrap the 'evil' concept :-)

The buttons are disgusting.... white shadowed text on a red background, and NO ALT TEXT (!!) .... whenever I am asked I try to drum into people the fact that you *really* need to cater for those with visual impediments... I have difficulty making out what your buttons are saying, so what hope would somebody with poor eyesight have? Contrast, contrast, contrast... they are the three most important factors with buttons... and alt tags ensure that not only are people with images turned off able to navigate your site, but so are blind people with software that turns the site into speech.

Have a read here, and then ask your client whether he has the money to fight a law suit from the Disability Rights Commission ... if you read around you'll find the ruling against the Sydney Olympics site, which cost millions...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/31520.html

I agree about the map... I expected it to zoom in with detailed information, or at least an address and telephone number. I know where Worcester is, but I have no idea where the Sports Club is in Worcester, or how to phone to find out.... if your primary objective is simply to promote the single club then I would lose the map on "Location"... the list of alternative clubs are provided elsewhere (under the "info" tab I think) so it would be more logical to merge the "Location" and "Map" pages into one.

hth

Sean

Banned
    Member #
    ..removed the marquee why you cant see it..also said i cant change the colors not my choice.. as for the map not my specification i just turned his sketch into flash

will put some alt tags in thanks

Member #
    Marquee's are only visible in IE. Netscape, Mozilla etc (all other broswers As far as I know) ignore the coding and just display it either as plain text (netscape older versions) or do not display the text at all.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    First quick thing I noticed in your second design was an additional Home tab at the top, as can be seen in the attached file (on 2index.htm).

The only thing I really don't like about this site is the nav you have - it looks rather odd and the text is a bit too small for my liking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads