Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Iím trying for ďCleanĒ but it looks boring.

Hi
    Iím a speech therapist. Iíve very little skill in web design as you will see. Iím trying to create a site to sell speech programs to parents. I know I canít make it look professional so Iím going for a clean homespun blog with a store look. But it needs to draw parents in and look professional enough that people think I know what Iím talking about.
    Your help is much appreciated.
    Itís at www.speech-therapyathome.com.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I quite like it. But what's it's really missing is a call-to-action.

Visiting the website, I'm not sure what you want me to do. There's too much text on the home page that could be shifted off into other pages.

Make it really simple: who are you, what do you offer (speech guides and speech programs), why I should be interested in them, and what you want me to do!

You've got some really good text already it just needs to be shifted around and focused on the home page. Something like this:

I am a registered Speech Language Pathologist with over 26 years of experience working with many different children and their families in many different settings. I want to help you help your child to have the best speech and language skills possible.

* Early intervention results in the best possible outcome at all ages.
    * Good speech means a better start for reading and writing skills.
    * Helping children improve even a single sound can have a big impact on their speech.

This site provides parents with free ideas and suggestions to help speech sounds to develop.

Browse speech ideas now

Also available for purchase are my programs to work on speech sounds at home. These are the same ideas and materials that I use with parents in my practice and with my children as they were growing up.

Shop speech programs now

Member #
    Thank you so much. I knew it was getting wordy but was thinking I needed all of that to get parents ďhookedĒ. Iíll move things around.

Thanks for clarifying what a call for action would look like for my site. That helps a lot.

Iíll keep working on it.
    Last edited by SLPatHome; Jun 07th, 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Member #
    I used your idea for an Action Statement. I wasnít sure though about moving all of my extra material to another page so I left it at the bottom. I want it where most parents might see it and doesnít google like lots of info on main pages?

If this doesnít work let me know and Iíll find some place to tuck it.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by SLPatHome; Jun 07th, 2018 at 11:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Looks good! I think you made the right call about keeping the text on the main page actually.

One final idea is to make it immediately clear what the site is about. Here are two suggestions, but I'd only pick one:

* change the page title from "Ideas to Grow On" to something specific like "Speech language therapy, "DIY Speech language therapy" or "Speech language therapy at home". It's repeating the logo and making the branding and purpose of the site clear

* alternatively, make "registered Speech Language Pathologist" in the first sentence bold so it stands out

Member #
    Thanks. Iíll try the highlighting. I know The Ideas to Grow On bit can be confusing but itís a leftover from my old site and is on the cover of my Programs. I also hoped it helps to make sense of why I have a pic of children getting older on the front page - another leftover Iím afraid.

What do you think about me ďsigningĒ SLPatHome instead of using my real name? I know a name and a nice About page would build trust but I work for a public organization that provides free services. Technically it would be a conflict of interest for me to sell something to someone that could get it for free - if they live in my little area of the world. Iíd rather lay low until retirement comes around.

Thanks again

Remove Ads