Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Redesigned my website to be more USER/ SEO & MOBILE Friendly

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Redesigned my website to be more USER/ SEO & MOBILE Friendly

Hey guys I just updated my community based website longislandhub.com to be more be more user and mobile friendly. It covers every single Long Island Town and more.

Please take a look and let me know where I can improve.

This page in particular is challenging https://www.longislandhub.com/commack because I keep trying to make it load faster but it is still loading on Google page speed at 39 for mobile.

Anyone have advice on how to improve this?

Thank you and also please let me know overall how I can improve the user/mobile friendly nature of the site.

Best!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    It looks fine and clean to me, however, I'm not entirely sure what the goal is. It doesn't really lead me along as a user and the information you provide seems a bit random (discover long island, best mexican restaurants, Theodore Roosevelt). I also think the information on the town subpage could be arranged better. For example, I would expect the map to be at the top.

As for the speed issue, you load a lot of third-party code. Do you need all of it? You also don't have any caching enabled and use a lot of render-blocking JS. Basically, just input your site into speed testing tools and follow their advice.

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.lon...b.com/fGrdlcNN

As for mobile, on smaller screens, there is way too much space on each side. It makes the content hard to read. At least on the homepage. The Google Maps don't look good on mobile and you could add some images in the town descriptions to make scrolling through them more interesting.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by nshep; Oct 15th, 2019 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to talk about the mobile version
    longislandhub likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nshep View Post
    It looks fine and clean to me, however, I'm not entirely sure what the goal is. It doesn't really lead me along as a user and the information you provide seems a bit random (discover long island, best mexican restaurants, Theodore Roosevelt). I also think the information on the town subpage could be arranged better. For example, I would expect the map to be at the top.

As for the speed issue, you load a lot of third-party code. Do you need all of it? You also don't have any caching enabled and use a lot of render-blocking JS. Basically, just input your site into speed testing tools and follow their advice.

As for mobile, on smaller screens, there is way too much space on each side. It makes the content hard to read. At least on the homepage. The Google Maps don't look good on mobile and you could add some images in the town descriptions to make scrolling through them more interesting.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I have a few questions because you raised a bunch of great points:

You mentioned how the goal of the website is unclear. Thank you for point that out because if it's not thats a huge problem.

The #1 goal for the Long Island Hub website is to serve as IMDB.com/Wikipedia.com for ALL Things Related to Long Island, NY. How do you think I can make that message more instantly clear to the user?

Great point for the List of Town page. The only thing I am still in the learning process of Javascript, so this interactive map here https://www.longislandhub.com/map/li-js-map/ was customized by another web developer.

Also, for the Long Island Town page https://www.longislandhub.com/long-island-towns I recently added in at the top "NEW! Browse Towns in Alphabetical Order!" which links to this page https://www.longislandhub.com/towns-...abetical-order My Question is do you have any suggestions on displaying the towns. Given I have one that separates them by Township and another by Alphabet. Take in mind this is about Geography and not like a Music Genre so the filter of Townships does serve a useful purpose.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your feedback

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Red face

Anyone have any feedback? https://www.longislandhub.com

Especially the point nshep made about what it's about?

The #1 goal for the Long Island Hub website is to serve as IMDB.com/Wikipedia.com for ALL Things Related to Long Island, NY.

How do you think I can make that message more instantly clear to the user?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nshep View Post

Hope this helps!
    NSHEP! Help please

You made a good point about it being unclear to what the site is.

The #1 goal for the Long Island Hub website is to serve as IMDB.com/Wikipedia.com for ALL Things Related to Long Island, NY.

How do you think I can make that message more instantly clear to the user?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey, sorry, I didn't get any notifications from this. I'm no expert in this but here are some ideas:

1. Write an intro text that explains what the site is about
    2. Same for the images. Find a way to explain the context for why they are there and why someone would want to click on them for more information
    3. Create some sort of order for the images so that they are grouped topically. Provide headings/subheadings as needed
    4. Generally, think about what you want visitors to do on your site and then think about how you could guide them along clearly
    5. Possibly include a table of content on top that takes them to the H2 sections you have created upon click
    6. Remove the custom Google search bar at the top. I don't understand what it is doing there.
    7. Possibly place a large hero image at the top that introduces Long Island visually
    8. Make your menu items more descriptive. Don't abbreviate Long Island to LI. I thought Li Maps was a name at first glance.

Those are just from the top of my head.

Is this helpful to you?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Talking

ahahahahah you actually have me laughing for real.

I had to get your attention because you provided the best insight.What is the SEO value difference between breadcrumbs and tags?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions as I will implement them.

I have 2 questions in relation to how you listed them.

6. Remove the custom Google search bar at the top. I don't understand what it is doing there.
    I added the Google Search bar because it exclusively searches Long Island Hub but also has google ads. Thought it would be an effective website search tool. Why would you advise against it?

7. Possibly place a large hero image at the top that introduces Long Island visually.
    Wouldn't using a large hero image on the home page affect the SEO because the google bots prefer text above the fold?

Thank you loll

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey, I already answered your breadcrumbs question in another thread.

As for your other questions:

1. Generally, offering a search function on a website is not a bad thing. However, I think the search bar you have is a) too large and b) doesn't have any explanation for its existence in that place. It would put it in a less prominent place, make it smaller, and add a call to action.
    2. You can place text on top of hero images, this is a very common practice.

Hope this helps!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think the site is a bit too plain. I would add a color scheme to make it stand out more. I agree, the message of to what the site is about is not instantly clear. I would try looking into other sites that do this. For example:
    https://www.discoverlongisland.com/

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixIM View Post
    I think the site is a bit too plain. I would add a color scheme to make it stand out more. I agree, the message of to what the site is about is not instantly clear. I would try looking into other sites that do this. For example:
    https://www.discoverlongisland.com/
    Thank you.

My ultimate goal is this. Serve as Virtual Long Island.

Not everyone knows Long Island, NY so just in case it's apart of New York State. Two Counties, 13 Townships & Almost 300 Towns.

What I want to do is essentially create an experience where people are in an Online Version of Long Island.

So the focus would be on the Towns.

With that being said do you have any suggestions for making this a better site?

Thank you and everyone else lending advice it's appreciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads