Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am trying to find my way, posting a web site, want to use CSS but with CSS I can't use the old trick of viewing and mimicking someone else's source code. Or at least I haven't learned how to get to other people's style sheets. So for three days I've been searching for other people's websites that use Trebuchet, and in spite of a recent poll I saw here, I can't find one (except wdf of course)! My book tells me I have to use quotes around a multi word font name, thus "trebuchet MS", and I understand that I could list two or three fonts and the browser will paint up what it has, choosing the first in the spec if it has it. I see in wdf's code no quotes around trebuchet MS, and I also notice the series of font names are squished together, no space between. Presently on my design I think I've gotten muddled between defining style for body and style for P's. Anyway, a request & two questions: Please steer me to some (relatively simple) pages that use trebuchet, and
    Is there a way to view the style sheet of a given page? And
    what about quotes in the syntax for Trebuchet MS? (do cap's matter one way or the other? (wow, can I just attach a file off my computer, no ftp?)

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quotes and syntax don't matter one way or the other. You can list fonts something like the following:
    Code:
    BODY, TD, P, FONT {
         font-family:  Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
         font-size:  11px;
    }
    There are two ways whereby one can possibly obtain someone else's style sheet. The difference between the two depends on whether or not the style sheet is saved to an external (CSS) file.

Both Methods: Open up the source code for the page (View-->Source in IE, I forget in Netscrap.)

Method #1: Read the styles that go on between the <STYLE> and </STYLE> tags. This will work in the case of WDF.

Method #2: If the site has an external style sheet, it will be indicated by a [Minicode]<link rel="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" href="CSSSheets/standard.css">[/Minicode] piece of code in the header. Using the HREF property and your address bar, navigate to the CSS file. You will likely be prompted to download it. Do so, and open it up in your favourite text editor. This may not work on all sites, however. This will depend on how the permissions were set on the directory containing the CSS file.

Just make sure that either way, you're viewing the source code for educational purposes only and that you will modify it. It sucks when people get their code jacked and reused.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Gee, thanks! And, absolutely right, I'm looking for standard procedure when I'm viewing source. I totally agree, we designers gotta protect and respect whose idea is whose.

Member #
    about wdf

How can I tell who answered me? is it Toronto/ADAM ? or The GAME 1264 ?

Now that I got Trebuchet working (thanks again) dontchaknow, I don't like it as much as I thought I would. See, I especially like the shape of the lower case L since it is distinguishable from the Upper case i. but the whole font is a little toothy looking, and it's bold is really wimpy. Would be Great if it had some big Black brothers and an Ultra Uncle. Hey Adobe -- a marketing opportunity!

What's a good San Serif Title font to use in contrast to Treb as body text? I like this link for pondering this question, but I feel so restricted by the paucity of fonts you can count on all platforms having.

http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-fa...dResults.shtml

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Dude, only one person replied to you, and that was TheGame1264.
    Toronto Web Design by ADAM Web Design
    is part of his signature file.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I did not respond to him. Wait...yes, I did. No you didn't! Yes I did! Shut up, no he didn't! Yes she did!

Now if I could just isolate which personality of mine answered, I'd be in good shape.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads