Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Any comments very welcome.
    www.student.brad.ac.uk/majenkin

Member #
    nice start, the text along the top is hidden by part of the image on the left. what did u use to make the graphics?

Member #
    I did all the graphics in Illustrator and photoshop.

What text along the top is hidden by which image? Am confused.

Matt

Member #
    i am on about the graphic that says "on the" at the top of the page it hides some of the text about the resolution

Member #
    i see, it doesn't on my browser, cheers mate

Matt

Member #
    thats ok, it might that im using a cruddy screen res (800*600) coz im at college

Member #
    good stuff... but watch your colours

i like the site, but it seems like your colours are bleeding quite a bit. have you tried playing with photoshop's web settings? you can also try using slices, what version of ps are you using?

very creative design and good use of positive space- too many sites look like a bargain basement blowout sale
    water, water everywhere so let's all have a drink
    http://www.jimmyolson.ca

Member #
    could u explain the pro's of using slices? Thanks for ur advice, bleeding as in almost a little faded. I've altered the transparancy of my graphics so the site doens't appear too blunt.

I've got ps 7 by the way

Cheers Matt

Member #
    have u thought about using frames on in? its just u have that border going round the edge and i think i inline frame would make it look nice?

Member #
    The page needs depth, shapes, texture, and color.

There's nothing making me want to look further, in fact, I want to look away.

If a person can't feel themselves being pulled into the design within the first 10-20 seconds, then you're going to lose them.

Depth - You need something to trick the eye into looking deeper into the page than is origionally intended. A faded grid, the illusion of layers on layers going into the distance, or just a play on colors will get them started.

Shapes - The page looks like an unfinished sketch. Although you're using some shapes, a line is a shape, and although they're there also, they aren't as prominent as they could be. Use them in grids, hollow shapes, overlays, something to get the eyes moving around the page.

Texture - Any site needs a feel. Because this is all virtual, as designers, we need to be able to get people to "feel" their way around as well as look. If you walked down a grass road to a grassy field, only to see nothing but grass.....how interested would you be to look any further? Now walk down a gravel path to a garden, with different shapes, colors, and textures, now you're interested in "dicovering" more of what's there.

Color - "A black and white world is a dull place indeed, but an all gray world is suicidal." - Robert Frost.
    What is meant is that with just using color, you can achieve all of the above and more. You can imply shapes, lighting and shadowing, texture, and even depth.

Remove Ads