Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all, newbie here...but I'm no newbie to HTML, flash, etc. But I have a problem with "design..." I know all the ins and outs of Dreamweaver, Flash, etc. and can program the code used for awesome sites, but my boss recently found out that my intellect is way up in the clouds but creative side of my brain is six feet under...basically he wants me to come up with page layouts from scratch, and I have a very, VERY hard time doing that without copying someone else's layouts. It has come to the point that I will be replaced if I can't produce layouts on my own. He says that programming ability is great, but it doesn't matter if I can't "design" (layout) a site. Where should I start? I don't want to lose this job; I may never have this opportunity again!

Member #
    there are so many layouts anyone can do

try inline frames and stick a graphic round it and get the links etc into the graphic

try and create a site in photoshop, i know it sounds stupid but if you can create the looks of a site in photo shop then you can break it up to fit with frames etc

Member #
    Originally posted by adam_uk
    there are so many layouts anyone can do

try inline frames and stick a graphic round it and get the links etc into the graphic

try and create a site in photoshop, i know it sounds stupid but if you can create the looks of a site in photo shop then you can break it up to fit with frames etc
    lol, you just violated 2 design basics right there...

1. iFrames = bad
    2. Frames = worse

But you are correct about the designing site in Photoshop part. Just create a 758x500 canvas, and let your imagination flow.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    iframes aren't incredibly evil, but frames are...
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    everyone thinks that Iframes and Frames are bad.

framesets are but iframes can be exremly useful sometimes. and can look good.

it's just because so many people have used iframes and used them badly to make a site that looks rubbish because of it.

but used correctly by someone who knows what they are doing and actually understands about site navigation: they are not evil.

Member #
    Actually, it's based more on fact that some browsers still have problems with iFrames.

All in all, if you can't effectively design a site that is both scalable and compatible, then you need to get back to the drawing board.

Member #
    some browsers don't support CSS or javascript people use them on sites. anyone who uses a browser that doesn't support basic web site elements. can't expect to browse the web effectivly with it.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You shouldn't rely on Javascript to do anything (says me who changed the User CP to require it aranoid: ) IMHO
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    you can tell people not to use this and that us much as you like.

but the fact remains people want interesting web sites and in order to make interesting web sites they have to use things like flash, javascript.

because IE is the most common browser people have. web designers are using that as the industry standard instead of W3C so the only way other browsers like NS and Opera are going to stay useful is if they make it display in the same way as IE.

we don't necasarly like this but it's the way it's going/gone.

Member #
    Yes, what you have there is a valid argument.

However, it applies only to those little 'extra' eye-candy items, such as the 'Redirect' page on this forum with the animated arrow.

IE users see the animation, but users of other browsers don't. It does not hamper the user's ability to use the site.

If you're using Frames/iFrames, then a potential client could be getting error messages or blank pages -- not a good image for your site, if you ask me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads