Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My high school site is at http://sonora.seniorhigh.net . I didn't design it but the principal wants me and a few other friends to redesign it. What do u think should change the most or should be added?

Member #
    Get rid of the clock.

What you really decide to do depends largley on what you know. If you excell at graphics and design, and a complex layout with a bunch of stock art. If you can script server side, add database conectivity. I would definatly design on theme before beginning though, as the site you have now looks like it was written without any pre-planning.

Not to encurage theft, but http://www.templatepark.com is just one of many sites that can give you some ideas before starting. I hope you have better luck than I did though, because even after I redid our schools entire site ( www.mercer.k12.pa.us ) in php with full database functionality they still want it redone. (for free of coarse)

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I agree. Lose the mouse trail. That's annoying as all hell.

I wouldn't change too much in it myself. I'd change the colour of the navigation bar and not have it go all the way to the top (maybe a gradient fill behind it, perhaps?) and lose the moire in the image header at the top (makes it very hard to read) but I'm an advocate of keep it simple, stupid after that, and that site in general accomplishes it.

As far as redoing a site for free, my trick to avoid this is to consult the client and get them to sign off on the various stages of the site. Once they do that, then they can't go back and say "I want this done for nothing", "I want that done for nothing", etc.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    i would say redo the navigation make it not as long up top, design the site in the interest of the student not just a site that gives information about the teachers but design it with a database that would allow a search for homework or search for school lunch or game schedule's, etc... You understand? but keep the style contemporary on w/e you do.
    KRS-ONE....Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone....

Member #
    Agreed. The nav bar is the biggest change other than the removal of the clock. Also, your school map is a .bmp, a gif would load in a flash but that .bmp is slow. I agree with TheGAME1264, keep it simple, just upgrade the look to today's standards.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Banned
    Member #
    ..also, does it have to tell me what the navigation is? think I couldve probably figured this out myself. I'll bet this site was designed in front page

I would tone the colors down, change fonts and link styles, get rid of the background images, not use frames, have more consistency of font sizes/layouts/backgrounds

Can anyone point me at a use of one of these cursors that isnt irritating?

Member #
    The navigation is a little confusing too. For example, when you click "departments", the nav changes, but nothing else does. I'd put a "departments homepage" up that comes up in the main content frame when departments is clicked.

Also, it would take some work, but losing the frames would be a huge improvement. And the color scheme needs to go.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Originally posted by fgfgfgh

Can anyone point me at a use of one of these cursors that isnt irritating?
    Sorry, dude. This is like the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, Calista Flockhart's waistline, and America. It doesn't exist except in the minds of fools. :-D
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    :laugh: just as I suspected

Remove Ads