Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: suggestions

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have started experimenting with web development and finally after reading tutorials and such, i finally managed to create my first site. i would like to have any suggestions/opinions were my "weakpoints" are. I have only used notepad to create my website because my aim was to put hands on html/css and a bit of javascript

here is my site

Thank you for your evaluation!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    - first lose the clock. everyone already has a clock on their computer.

- second use brighter colors; these one's are depressing and make the black text hard to read.

- this site does not need a counter since it is a quiet test site. Most real counting systems are behind the scenes. You don't need a counter to prove to the world that people have been hitting your site

- i recommend not using frames like this because teh site is not something which needs an always up menu. Your site will be a lot more "liquid" if you make it using tables that use percentages in width and heigth

- don't include a downloads link or recommended links until they are no longer under construction

- good job making your links popup windows

- i didn't catch any weirdness in the glance at the htm

- watch Ewoks: Battle For Endor; an old tv movie
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Big no no, loose the default Times New Roman, in my opinion the table borders are ugly and get rid of the counter its unprofessional and its outdated! Otherwise keep up the good effort and you'll come out with a good final product
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    I agree with what's been said above, though I also think that unless you are going to put a nice graphical header, the blue behind the title doesn't need to be that big.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Everyone has a clock on their computer, but mine's analog for some reason. Damned Windoors 1901 SE!

Anyway, I agree with the stuff that's already been said. Times New Roman is a hideous-looking font. Verdana works so much nicer. The clock's got to go. And the frame borders don't really work.

Having said all that, I'm going to add some more suggestions of my own:
    1. Change your background colours to something lighter (or white where the green is, ideally.) The dark text on the medium-darkness background is kind of hard to read for me.
    2. You could use the CSS style property "width" for your menu links so that when the mouse is rolled over the individual table cells, the hyperlink is selected too. This is an IE-only property (to my knowledge) but it won't hurt anything in other browsers to put it in and it will make your site a little easier to navigate for the vast majority who use IE.
    3. A graphic banner. Dude, you need a graphic banner. Dude, you're gettin' a graphic banner. damned Dell kid. I think I just smoked his weed.
    4. Red on anything other than a shade of grey looks tacky, especially when it's put on green or blue. Unless, of course, you're the WDF graphics wizard; in this situation alone, it's a burst of inspired creativity.

That's about all I got to say 'bout dat.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    thank you all for your valuable suggestions! i totally agree with you about the clock & the counter. Actually, my only intention in doing that clock was just to practice a bit the JavaScript features which i learned from tutorials. It seems also, that the mixture of colors which i used are not all that eye-attractive colors. I will get into those also!

I appreciated all of your suggestions. Thank You!

Member #
    Good suggestions so far. The color scheme needs some work, for that, you can look here for some guidence:

www.colorschemer.com/online

Remove Ads