Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: new site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

this is my first and possibly my last website judging by the quality of it. Any tips? (apart from taking up gardening or something??)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    we would have something to comment if you posted the link.

Member #

Member #
    http://www.nimo118.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Is his link...

And it needs work to start off with, take a look at other sites on the internet and use those to form layout ideas.

Are you completly fluent in HTML? Can you code tables? they will help a lot.

Also the moving background, well ummm it doesnt really fit in. Stick with a static bg.

Also Times New Roman is a terrible font for the web, I recommend you use arial(helvetica) or verdana.

I think if you change those things and give it a modern look it would be a good site
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    thanks a lot for your ideas. I dont really know anything about html. I just used Dreamweaver and thats how it came out. You're probably right about the starry background. I was just trying to make it look flashy (failed). Interesting about the fonts. Didn't know it made a difference. I'm clueless about tables and frames also. I'll get me coat!!
    Ta nimo

Member #
    ummm wow... ok here's the list:

1. Layout. Tables Tables Tables. They can improve the look of your site 10 fold if done right...

2. Font. Go with "Verdana" as a font. "Times New Roman" is... well... considered ugly (imho)

3. Navigation. Needs some form of uniform navigation. The links thrown in the middle of the page is not an effective navigation.

4. Length. No one wants to sit there and keep scrolling down the page... Try to cut it down to a couple pages or three perhaps.

honestly i cant say "Great work" or "Good Job" but i do applaude you on the effort... stick with it and you'll be creating nice pages in no time...

Steve

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Times is not an ugly font.. the reason you would use a font like verdana helvetica or ariel in a webpage is because its a san-serif font and easier to read from a computer monitor. serif fonts like times, garamond, bookman are easier to read on printed materials.

btw if you dont know what a serif is.. take a look at the letter 'T' in both ariel and Times. you see the 'feet' in the times font but you dont in ariel font. those 'feet' are called serifs and they help the eye move better across words in printed materiel. If you have ever read a book written in a san-serif font you will notice you will usually become more distracted and frustrated and not absorbe as much of the book as if you had read it in a serif font. But that is a whole nother subject..

Moving on to layout.. There are some basic components that are on most webpages.. you might have a title or header. some form of navigation, this could be located wherever you want to design it into your page.. and the content area. Usually these could bit layed out where the title/header is at the top, this sort of gives a base for your page.. and is usually consistant thoughout the rest of your stie.. it could be some text, a logo, graphic, or some combonitation. sometimes under that could be a menu or navigation that is also consistiant and located in the same spot thoughout your site.. these elements are usually best kept seperate from the third componient of most pages, the content area. That is where you would put your images, blurbs, stories, content!! that is BASIC web design. So i would get your navication out of the content area of your site and set up a small area off to the side or near the top that your navigation and title/header will 'live' and leave the rest to content that will change thoughout the rest of your site. As far as the starry background and such that is a design touch.. no it is probably not professional looking but that is much more a subjective idea then proper layout and typeography witch is more concrete.

Member #
    another new site

thanks for all the feedback on my last attempt. Could you have alook at this one please www.nimo118.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Remove Ads