Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

First ever website REDESIGNED!

Used a combination of Photoshop and GoLive for my wife's site. First up, I've done all the links (not all of which work yet) with image maps, but haven't sliced anything so at the moment it's just one big gif. What's the advantage of slices, and are they best done in ImageReady?

The Flash intro is a little jagged, I guess, but I'm only learning!!

Website - Jan Murray.co.uk

***UPDATED AT END OF THREAD, PLEASE SEE BELOW***

Member #
    It's not bad though I have a few suggestions:

> Drop the counter as it is very unprofessional.
    > I'm not sure why you have links on the right and on the bottom to the same things, maybe put the bottom links on the main page and the side links on all the other pages?
    > Instead of putting "Please click here to contact" just make "Ed Miller/AdoraMedia" a hyperlink.
    > The bottom navigation buttons stand out more than my liking (because they are the only thing on the page that's not pink/purple) It's not something that is absolutely crucial, but I would either change their color or add more of that blue into the site layout.

Great work for the first try!
    [Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    the advantage of slicing an image is you could compress each slice/image differently to get the whole layout as small as possiable.. or to get them to work in a tabled layout..

Your first page is about 100k due to the large gif.. I am sure you know that this is unacceptiable in terms of size. It will take somebody with a dial-up connection about 30-40 seconds to see your page. This layout could easily be done with css or *gasp* tables. the page could be reduced to around 15-20k easily. Overall i like the layout design.. not my choice of colors but i think they look good.. the counter is unnessary, as stated looks unprofessional. If you do need one then try find another one that goes with the site better, or design one yourself. If you just want to know how many people are hitting your site use a free tracking tool like webalizer.

The flash amimation does not seem to tie into the site very well at all. I think it can be nix'ed and you would probably be better served offering your welcome text on the front page. Dont forget if your users have to see that animation everytime they come to your site they will get annoyed with it, and probably not visit your site as often. Especially since it adds very little to the overall site.

Please dont take my or anybodys comments as overly critical, i am just offering my suggestion wich i think is better then just telling you something i think you want to hear. Critisism is how we improve, as long as its taken in the right context. I have not seen many sites posted in this forum that i did not like. Good luck.

Member #
    Ummm I cant seem to get on it at the moment, so I'm not sure what's on it.

Give us a shout when it's back up.

Member #
    Its good! But as said before it could do without the counter, you'll get the stats on hits from you host.
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    I agree that the flash intro should be dropped. A journalist's website isn't supposed to be flashy and jazzy, it should be professional and focus on the writing. Which brings up the next point: slice up that website. Having small text in there as a graphic makes it fuzzy, wont allow it to be indexed by search engines, and users can't select the text to copy it.

I agree about the blue buttons too. They don't match your color scheme, and they stand out more than a regular button should. Nice work though, keep at it.

Member #
    Ah got it working now,

I would scrap the intro, just wastes time, looks nice apart from the counter.

Nice and clean site, I like it.

If you are looking to add to it, maybe bring in some nice mouse-over effects, that would finish it off nicely.

Well done,

Member #
    Cheers guys! The image slicing was something I intended on (not sure about css and gasp tables though!!?). Have put this up in about three days just to get a presence there, so will hopefully fine-tune it as I progress (and learn!).

Thanks for the comments, taken on board! Now to get that manual out again...

Member #
    Hi, since my last visit here, I've taken all your suggestions on board and redesigned my site from the ground up - learned a bit more about metatags, CSS, etc,, so any further comments would be appreciated.

Was going to ask why I couldn;t see the site on Google but have just typed in 'Janet Murray journalist' and it's come straight to the top!! Was wondering if this is my metatags working or the fact I submitted it to the Open Directory Project/DMOZ as someone suggested...?

Member #
    A vast improvement over the old site! Looks pretty good to me. One thing I noticed is that on your books/music page, you have a long list of CD's, and they're only listed one per line. You could easily make a table and put two or three CD covers across. This would make the page shorter in length, and look better IMO. Nice work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads