Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,
    My website, www.theworknet.com is looking pretty bad. It's perfectly functional and a useful tool, but I don't think my visitors stick around long enough to find that out- just because it doesn't look very good.

I know alot of you are extremely talented, any of you have any good suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards,
    Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    1. Scale your banner to 100% width. And make it a little taller. It's cramped right now.
    2. Get rid of the generic globe mesh thing and extend the nav bar all the way across
    3. Get better photos for your banner or use none at all
    4. replace the flag images for language selection with words (and flags, if you like) and place them better. Maybe once your banner stretches all the way across, you'll have more room for them on the right.
    5. Organize the nav on the left better. Right now, it's tough to figure out the heirarchical levels to it. Maybe only have one level of links (there aren't many second level links, anyway !!!)
    6. Maybe get some 16x16 icons for each of your categories in your nav on the left to augment the look of it
    7. Organize your content in the middle better. It's all kinda floating out there right now.
    8. Get rid of that damn animated banner in the middle of your site !!!
    9. Integrate your project lists better into the content above. They're kinda out of synch right now.
    10. GET SOME PROJECTS. People probably aren't sticking around cause you have nothing to offer them right now except an ugly site that won't get them work!

Member #
    Loads nice and fast. A bit too wide for 800x600. I presume this is a USA only site which you might want to make plain. Otherwise, a nice design. Good luck with it.

Nick

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Looks like you already made some changes to it because i dont see what Transio is talking about.

Does not look bad.. just a little confusing.. If had just surfed in I probably would have no idea what your site was about and would have to stay and read a few pages and try to figgure it out. But thats the problem, making users stay to learn more. My suggestion? Make it easy and just put what the avrage surfer needs to know on the front page, not only will you get more people to stay on your site but you will get more people to USE your site. Just dont make it sound like an instruction manual, that is what the FAQ and related pages are for. I am still confused on what exactly this site is about.. is it a place to find and/or offer work? manage projects? But you are right your site does have potention as long as you are able to make your point to your users and convince them to stay.

You dont have to make it graphics intensive and lavish with media elements.. in fact that could hurt your site. This site would serve its audience best by being light and quick to load, and easy to understand and read, as opposed to being a 'pretty site'.

Member #
    Transio brings up excellent points. One problem I have with it is the top is somewhat akward. The icons look like generic clip-art, and there's no welcome message or explanation of the site. You have some tiny text under the "Managers" link, but the size of it makes it look like it's the "fine print". The top of your page is it's biggest downfall IMO. It is what people see first, and if it gives off a bad first impression, it's tough to reverse that.

Member #
    I've added a description, but it looks kind of awkward. Any suggestions?
    Also, the clip-art look... do you mean the blue badges? Any suggestions on that?

Thanks alot for your guys input! It's come along way since I put it on here last week, that's for sure. Thanks again for your help.

Remove Ads