Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,

Please take a look at my first site....I do need help becuase my image files are too big and would like to know how to shrink..Any suggestions would be great!

http://www.awesomecrafts.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    What software are you using to make your images? Some of them are PNG's and although i LOVE that format its notorious for being a large file type, besides the images you have dont take advantage of the format. Try jpg instead. Although you have some jpgs that are very huge, i find it odd that some of your thumb nails are larger in then the full size image. There are a few spelling errors and you could take some time to draw up a decent layout and learn some (X)HTML and maybe a bit of CSS, honestly its not that hard. Its one of those things that takes suprisingly little effort compaired to its rewards.

Its plain that you are new to web design and thats cool we all start somewhere, I would pick up a book on the subject. Its been a while since i have read a beginning webdesign/html book and cant reccomend specific books but take a look at amazon. Or you could do like most people and just numorous web searches but i find it easiest to read a book, that way you will ensure you get consitiant information from the same author(s) and not confused by getting a little bit here and there and try to make sense of it.

No you dont need a dazzling layout for it to be good. Although if you plan on using this site as a buisness, I would invest some time in learning more about file size and compression, the differences between jpg's, gif's, and png's site layout, color shemes, the use of text online, etc.. Visit some sites you go to often and try to recreate them or parts of them, that is one of the best ways to learn.

Member #
    Glyakk brings up good points. A few thoughts:
    1. The background is takcy, and it tiles (you can see where it starts and ends). You may want to stick with solid color backgrounds. www.colorschemer.com/online is a good resource for finding colors that work well together.
    2. The Content is slapped in there. Learn about tables, and lay the information out in a sensible way.
    3. The buttons don't really go with the background. It's important that the different elements of a website work well together.

Welcome to the boards.

Remove Ads