Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi, Ive been working on the layout of a new web site on and off for a while now, and I think its ready to be torn to pieces by ruthless criticism now.

If possible, I would appreciate feedback on the layout, but if you could take a look at the source code. I know it isnt all valid HTML, but this is just a test version of the site, kind of an alpha release if you will, so I will be tidying up the code I am aiming to get a fairly high ranking in search engines, so if you could give me any advice from the SEO perspective, I will... er... marry you?

Like I said, and feedback is appreciated, so without further adue its my link!

Clickety click:
    http://wotm.co.uk/playonline/

BTW, none of the links work, Im planning to use PHP and MySQL to load a table of links, but I'll be doing that later

Member #
    You aren't using the top of your site very efficiently. Search engines only look at the top portion of your page, and it's the first thing your visitors see. Your banner image is way too tall (The Network Play image), and then you have some icons below that, with a lot of wasted white space in between.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You can't spell. It's "criticize". Oh, and you're using the wrong word altogether. The word you were looking for is "critique".

Now that I'm done criticizing you (as per your request), allow me to say that your site is pretty nice.

One comment I'll make (everyone take note) - NEVER NAME A GRAPHIC "BANNER.GIF" !!! Graphics with the word "banner" in their name (even as a folder) will be eliminated by many leading spam-blockers.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    this is my frank reply

ordinary design

build good header current one is childish

reduce the size of top menu images and also put there text also

right side and left side columans are strange very white space there

if u can give a specific size to site like 778

or design whole site talking it fit to any resolution i am using 1024

best of luck

Member #
    transio Im from the UK where its spelt criticise

Thanks for the feedback guys, it was very helpful. Ive asked a friend to make a better banner for me, as you can see Im not very good with graphics, so hopefully he can make a better banner for me, which will be names network_play.gif Thats an interesting fact transio, I never knew that and I will emember it for the future, thanks

I'll reduce the cell padding and the horizontal/vertical space for images in the CSS file, and reduce all that empty space.

You say that search engines only look at the first half of the page, does that mean it wont follow the link at the bottom to a site map? Also, the first half of the page is mostly JavaScript and tables... which would be useless to anyone searching for my web site. Am I correct on this assumption, or have I miss understood?

Thanks again for all of the great feedback, it is much appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by Lord B
    transio Im from the UK where its spelt criticise
    Makes sense. I was just playing around with ya, anyhow :-D

Member #
    Sorry to double post, but Ive updated the site with some of your suggestions in mind. Again, it isnt done yet, but let me know what you think of the changes

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    which will be names network_play.gif
    Good choice. In general, it's considered good practice to give your images names that are in line with your website topic and give according alt tags to the bigger images.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You say that search engines only look at the first half of the page, does that mean it wont follow the link at the bottom to a site map? Also, the first half of the page is mostly JavaScript and tables... which would be useless to anyone searching for my web site. Am I correct on this assumption, or have I miss understood?
    Search engines ignore JavaScript. They weight text by its physical and logical placement in the content. This means that if you have a 900 pixel high graphic above the text, the text is given less weight. Additionally, if the text is at the very top, but your key word is the 1000th word, it is given less weight as well.

Member #
    I see, so I should try and get all of the important words near the top. Will the crawler still follow every link on the page (if I include the correct meta tag)? I have a site map link at the bottom of the page, and I need the crawler to look at my site map.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads