Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Here are my current websites:
    Intuition Magic (personal)
    The Day of the Foo (Foo Fighters site)
    More Than A Glance (Felicity & Noel site)
    My Portfolio (portfolio of mine)

Everything I've done with my websites I've taught myself over the years. I want honest opinions.

Robin

Member #
    Intuition Magic
    Get rid of the splash screen, and the counter as they are useless. You will find statisctics much more useful than a counter. I don't like the crosshair particularly, and also the content boxes should all end up at the same point. You site is way too long as well, with no content.

The day of the Foo
    Nice design, and you have created a good design considering it has a black background, which follows the theme of the band. I don't like the counter, or the fact that you have no indication as to where each nav image takes you, or that they are nav images at all. Also, the crosshair again.

More than a Glance
    Splash page is a big no-no. You cannot read the content text very well, and I can't even see the navigation one bit.

Portfolio
    The red text is very hard toread on the green background, and I am not particularly fond of the crosshair on links. Nice design though with some good content. Get rid of the splash page, it is creating a barrier between you and your audience.

Apart from that they are quite good websites, and they seem to be of good quality seeing as you say you learnt it yourself. Well done, overall, I'm going to give you a 3.5/5 because there are a few niggles which I don't like .
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Thanks for the very useful comments and feedback. It takes a lot to offend me as long as it's not said rudely "your site sucks...just give up":dead: This is particularly useful because the forum I got a lot of my help from much younger people but I did learn a lot. I was debating turning my personal site into a movie reviews, etc. website.

Member #
    Generally, i dont like your designs, it looks damn simple and all are same. I would refer to learn a simple server language rather than using frames, there are alots of frames in your websites. Using server include is much better than frames. Some of your site are go over the width of the browser in 800x600 resolution.
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    They're simple, I agree, but Iphong you are asking for critiques right now for a site that is much simpler than any of these.

The first site has some problems in Firebird (Mozilla). Almost half of the page is cut off on the left side.

The second one could use a more structured layout instead of just text slapped on the page. And the mystery meat navigation doesn't help. How am I supposed to know what those pictures link to?

The third one: wow, that's a lot of pink. The white text in that pink box is nearly impossible to read. And the scrolling box within the scrolling box on the right is a double foul.

The final site has an awful text/background color combination. I first looked at it on my LCD, and the red was too bright and illedgible on the green. Moving it over to my CRT, it was better, but still a little bright.

On a whole, your sites need a little more structure. Your portfolio for example features an introductory paragraph, and then a blog, with dated entries. All of that information is formatted in the exact same way, with nothing separating them. The introductory paragraph could be boxed in, or have some type of line or other graphical element to set it apart, and the blog could atleast have some different text decoration for the dates, to set them apart from the actual entry.

And the cross-hair cursor: don't use it unless you have a very good reason. I have never seen a very good reason to use it to date. The fact that you use it on a site about a TV show, a band, and your porfolio shows that you dont have a good reason to use it either. It's not fitting in with a theme, you're just using it because you can. It looks amateur-ish IMO.

Welcome to the boards. Stick around, you'll learn a lot here.

Member #
    Thanx. I appreciate the constructive criticism. I know I have a lot to learn and am here to look for the advice obviously. I am going to work on them a lot this weekend. Since I'm probably going to be going back to school for this kind of thing I need to start taking these things really seriously. Before obviously I was just trying things out and seeing what I thought looked fun. Obviously none of my sites are anything serious, they aren't there to make money off of them. I'll stop by again when I do more work.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    your designs aren't anything special in them...and no point...try more graphic editing programs like Photoshop...browse for some tutorials and layouts, learno more about designing and what a site could be used for and stuff...you have very much to learn

Member #
    Obivoulsy, I haven't taken any classes yet or read a book on it. Everything I've learned has been by trial and error.

Remove Ads