Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello,

Here is my website: http://www.affila.com/
    You can take a look and tell me how you like it, especially how you like the writing, does it seem compelling to you?

That's not all, I have one question and I'd really appreciate if you could find an answer to it. I used FrontPage 2003 to create my site and I want to add an exit popup when someone exits closes my site (not just the main page). I don't know how to do that with FrontPage.

Ron

Member #
    The site is the opposite of compelling. It makes me want to leave instantly, because it looks exactly like the sterotypical spam site. There is no color scheme, and everything on the page is fighting for my attention first. There are too many different text colors, sizes, and backgrounds. Choose a color scheme (link in my signature can help w/ that), and then choose a way to present the information so it can be digested, not so the user has to dodge an information attack.

Member #
    the layout itself is fine, but the colors used and stuff aren't too great. Also, the way that it is presented it seems illegal. Warnings talking about how AOL users are forbiden to use it and things like that make me think it's a shady business.

About the popup, I wouldn't have it at all. Your talking about a warning box saying something like "Goodbye!! Come again!" or something like that. Those are anoying to me, lol.
    Jason

Member #
    thank you

Hi,

Thank you for pointing that out. I just checked out the tool that you referenced, it's great. Just as you say, I will add a color scheme to my website.

You are also right that I should spice down my website a bit, i'll do that. I might even create a simple logo for it.

Can you recommend me a tool with which I can create appealing graphics and decorated text? I would like this tool to be something like Adobe Photoshop only a bit simpler. Please let me know, I'm looking forward to make positive changes to my website.

Ron

Member #
    what would be the first thing that you would improve for this site?

Hello,

I just posted to this forum and asked suggestions for my old website. Thanks to everybody who gave me suggestions, I put them to good use.

Now can you give me more suggestions? How do you like the colors now? What would be the first thing that you would improve if you were the owner of this website? http://www.affila.com/

Ron

Member #
    I think that the best tool for internet graphics is Fireworks.
    It simplyfies a lot of the work.
    Photoshop is great for "professional" people, but not for "normal" people. (In my opinion).
    And most important: **wipe** Frontepage off your computer as soon as you can. It is sooo useless. I suggest you 1st page 2000. http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml
    It's the best freeware HTML editor I've seen.
    I hope I was of help.

Member #
    I just replied you at your other post.

Member #
    I merged your old thread and new thread. For the same website, keep all information regarding the design in one thread.

This design is an improvement, but it could still use some work. For starters, there are NO graphics. It's VERY hard to make a quality design without any images. Also, the text could be laid out a little more creatively, right now it's just slapped in there in the middle. Using columns, or boxes (in moderation) would spruce it up a little.

This site looks like the other 3 million sites out there telling me I can get rich quick via the internet with your free information. It's going to be hard to differentiate yourself from the others. The design isn't doing it right now, and popping up a window as I click into your site turns me off even more.

Good luck though, nice improvement so far.

Member #
    look what I got now

splufdaddy,

thank you for your great advice. Now certainly, my website looks many times better than it looked yesterday, and it's all because of your advice. Now I really can't thank you enough for this.

Take a look at my http://www.affila.com/ website now and tell me everything you think should be improved.

Ron

Member #
    I'd move your orange navigation bar to remove the blu bit above it, and I'd also put in some basic CSS rollover effects on your navigation/site wide links. You should never use underlining on other text which is not a hyperlink, it can be confusing for inexperienced web users.

Try perhaps creating a banner/logo for your website which people can remember your site by, as at the moment it is just a basic plain text word document. You can create much better sites than that in Frontpage, I assure you. You need to create some sort of corporate/individual identity for the site, as at the moment, I'll leave it in splufdaddy's words:
    This site looks like the other 3 million sites out there telling me I can get rich quick via the internet with your free information. It's going to be hard to differentiate yourself from the others. The design isn't doing it right now, and popping up a window as I click into your site turns me off even more.
    As for your Graphics question, try Gimp at www.gimp.org

Hope I've been of help
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads