Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Jen's Website

First, a shameful admission...

I haven't completed my own first website yet, but I'd like to submit one that is owned by my friend Jennifer.

We're both recent beginners at website design (and she's obviously faster than me, 'cause hers is up and running and mine's not).

I don't expect miracles from this submission (and Jen'll probably strangle me when she finds out I've entered it here), since it's probably a 'different' type of site to what would usually be offered in these posts.

Whatever, I'll be able to filter out any terribly adverse comments before I show them to her. We neither of us will ever learn anything if we're not prepared to stick our heads above the parapet once in a while... :dead:

So, all you experienced, battle-hardened Web-techie types out there, please take a look at this site:

and let me know what you think.http://www.algarve-beach-life.com

I'm consoling myself already with the thought that 'whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger'.

[And hoping that Jennifer agrees].

Sara
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    While the presentation is lacking visually - the graphics are mostly too psychedelic for me, the site has something most "designer sites" are lacking: content. The style of writing is attractive - very good job with that.

I would, however, seriously consider redoing the sidebar graphics and banners etc. While the gradient does convey a sense of warmth it looks very amateurish with the clear-cut lines and repeating of the pattern. Perhaps someone should help you with the graphics - for the content, you are definately on the winning side... and that is what ultimately matters most.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Bingo! What these guys said would do it...

Member #
    I think the orange gradient and the nav gradient are what's hurting this design the most. As it has already been mentioned, the orange gradient is just thrown right in there, and those hard lines are very unattractive. The gradient is very bright and vibrant, and it's placed on a very subdued background. The result is that the gradient leaps out at you, the navigation leaps out at you, and all of the attention is drawn away from your content.

Gradients of this type are out IMO, they look very 1997. The problem is that they are so easy to do that everybody used them. Any site that uses them I automaticall dismiss as having not been updated in years.

If you take those gradients out and design a less flashy navigation, I think that will immediately improve this design.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks again for all the helpful comment, everyone.

Jennifer and I are planning to get together this weekend and go over all the suggestions, to see what could change. (And more importantly, discover whether we can do it).

A lot was written about gradients and hard lines. This is leading me to believe that the site looks considerably different on some of your puters. Jennifer did check how it looked on a few different browsers, but wasn't able to see how it came up on a Mac.

(That's a story in itself, since they're apparently so common in the US and so scarce in the UK. They tried to price as 'exclusive' when they launched over here in the 80s, and their market share never recovered, so they're rarer than 'droppings off a rocking horse' as the saying goes.)

Jen's going back to Algarve soon so she should have some better photographs to include on her site.

Anyone got any suggestions about some free (or at least affordable) graphics programs, since it's increasingly obvious that we need to spend some quality time together learning more about that side of things.

The downside is, it's scared me off launching my own site soon, since I thought that Jennifer's was better than mine graphically!

Lots of hugs to you helpful types -

Sara

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Well... If this board wasn't amazing and I didn't want to get banned, I'd say something, but there are some good "open-source" programs out there. One is mainly based for linux, but is also out for windows and probably mac... Can't remember its name but it rivals that of Photoshop, for 100% less cost. Anyone remember its name?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I also recommend trying to learn to clean up code to W3C standards.

There are many tutorials on this ALL over the net, a good example being http://www.w3schools.com/ . Just look for the XHTML tutorial to get an idea of how to clean up your code.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm back. The name of the image editor is the gimp. It is pretty good for it's cost. You ladies should download it because I bet you're short on money like me (a college student). Here is the link:

http://www.gimp.org/
    There is a linux and windows version.

----------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, another good free one, which is more of a painting program is Dogwaffle. The latest version is now for sale, but a free version is still around.

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/
    Download at:
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/295721.html
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi newfiewebguru (wow that's difficult to type)!

How do you mean, you'd say stuff if you didn't want to get banned?

surely you can pass on information and opinion in a helpful way that won't upset the rules?

Personally, I'd rather have feedback than not, even if it is initially 'upsetting'.

Come on, don't be shy..

SaraB

Member #
    Not to be harsh, but you asked for feedback: You could probably create a better site using geocities' page builder.

This site is the exact opposite of professional. The colors are horrible, the menu especially. I cant even read the text on the menu bars. The banner and sidebar is too bright and distracting - I wouldnt even skim through the page because it would give me a headache.

The whole site is generic and unpleasing. If you have a client base of any kind you will be doing more damage than good, because humans are asthetic people and this is nowhere near asthetically pleasing.

My advice would be to read some tutorials, spend months practicing with html and/or other code, buy some books, and learn even basic photoshop. Like I said, I dont think you are doing any good with a site, so you might want to tear it down and wait until you create a better design. If you really need the website up you can download templates that are far better than this. Maybe you should look into CSS, because there are many places you can go to get free complete site templates (www.glish.com, www.bluerobot.com). Get them, read some books, play around with the code. Its how I learned, and learned quickly.
    Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.
    John Wayne

Member #
    How do you mean, you'd say stuff if you didn't want to get banned?

surely you can pass on information and opinion in a helpful way that won't upset the rules?

Personally, I'd rather have feedback than not, even if it is initially 'upsetting'.
    What he is talking about (I hope even saying this doesn't get me in trouble) is "warez". Illegally copied software distributed over the internet, which CANNOT be discussed on most web forums. Posting information regarding how to obtain this software will more than likely get you banned, (i.e. you can't post in these forums anymore)

Now that that is cleared up, on to your site:
    A lot was written about gradients and hard lines. This is leading me to believe that the site looks considerably different on some of your puters.
    What I think is meant by the hard lines is that because the gradient image you have used for the side bar is smaller than the size of the bar, it repeats itself to fill up the length of the table cell. At the point where the the repeated images meet, there is a noticeable line because the edges of the image do not match up exactly.
    Also, the individual elements of the site contrast too much, (i.e. deep purple on orange, blue text on yellow-orange] which makes it very hard on the eyes. Like everyone else said, choose a palette of colors that blend nicely with each other and use them thoughout the site.

As for the layout, again I agree with everyone else. It is very outdated and unorginal. Even though you do have great content, and alot of it, many visitors will be turned off by the design of the site. Someone looking for information on beautiful beaches, expects to see a beautiful, aesthically pleasing site.

Instead of a gradient on the side bar, use a linear gradient as a background image, going from a dark color on the bottom of the page to a light one on top, and then make the cell holding the content a solid color (example: http://www.alistapart.com). Make the side bar and the navigation links the same color and strech the lines dividing each link all the way to the egde of the bar.
    As for the header image, maybe take a panoramic shot of one of the beaches and make it extend the width of the top horizontal cell with the logo on top. (making sure the side bar is a color that blends well with this picture)

Dont use blue for the heading text, it looks like a link. Use the same color as your content text.

On your main page, the content extends WAY down the page, try condensing this info to what is most important and put other extraneous info on other pages. The home page of the site is meant to be an introduction to what the content is on the other pages, not really to present alot of content itself.

Align that image of the beach to the left or the right and have the text flow around it. It looks out of place on the top like that.

As for an image program, a good affordable program is Paint Shop Pro. Which has a lot of the features on the more expensive software but at the fraction of the cost. When u use these programs t o create images, make sure u optomize them for the web so they dont look as pixelated as the ones you have on the site.

Hope this helps.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads