Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Jen's Website

First, a shameful admission...

I haven't completed my own first website yet, but I'd like to submit one that is owned by my friend Jennifer.

We're both recent beginners at website design (and she's obviously faster than me, 'cause hers is up and running and mine's not).

I don't expect miracles from this submission (and Jen'll probably strangle me when she finds out I've entered it here), since it's probably a 'different' type of site to what would usually be offered in these posts.

Whatever, I'll be able to filter out any terribly adverse comments before I show them to her. We neither of us will ever learn anything if we're not prepared to stick our heads above the parapet once in a while... :dead:

So, all you experienced, battle-hardened Web-techie types out there, please take a look at this site:

and let me know what you think.http://www.algarve-beach-life.com

I'm consoling myself already with the thought that 'whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger'.

[And hoping that Jennifer agrees].

Sara
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh dear...

I submitted my friend Jennifer's first ever site to the 'monthly contest' forum to get some comment, but now realise that this was probably a better place.

Oh well, I'm probably in her little black book of boneheads anyway, 'cause I'm sure she'll flip when I tell her I've asked for comments.

For those who don't know (and don't all stand up at once) I'm new to web design (and these forums) and haven't got my own site up yet, so I've taken the coward's way out and submitted my pal's site.

Please have a look and let's have your comments (in for a penny...):

http://www.algarve-beach-life.com

And my apologies to anyone who took the trouble to offer comments over on the other forum. I'll know better next time.

A very penitent

Sara :cry:

Member #
    WOW, this is really not doing it for me. The colours are terrible.

The layout isn't to pretty either I am afraid.

I think you need to try and improve the site's design the most.
    You could so with making it a little more easy on the eye and pretty. Dont use random colours and dont use so many gradients because they aren't as great as they may seem in this case.
    Instead just use simple colours but take your time choosing them.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    If your looking for opinions, the best place to go would be "How's My Site?". It's another forum on this website.

I will however save you and your friend some trouble. Alot of the colors are too bright, and the images are too tacky. Try to use "anti-aliased" font's in your navigation, and don't use the strange, psychadelic (spl?) purple background behind your nav like that. It's currently unattractive like that.

Also, try to work on the banner a little bit, using a professional paint program like Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop.

Nice first attempt though. Good luck with this endeavour! (Jennifer!)

Cheers.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    To see my opinion on the site just read what I posted on the Contest forum under your thread. I think me and Daniel covered most of the main problems in my post and his.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I've merged the threads. I'd suggest for sarab and newfiewebguru to edit the posts accordingly, and to just put "REMOVE ME PLEASE" in the extra double post. I or another mod will clean it up later.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I agree with what's been said above. You need to make sure that the different elements in this site work together. You can start by creating a better color scheme. The link in my signature can help you with that. Try to pick out three or four colors and use only those colors throughout the site. The gradeint has to go, and I'd suggest the pattern background should be replaced with a solid color. Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I might use that URL personally on my next project, it's a very nice tool to use when designing!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the comments so far, everyone...

I checked them out first, before I sat down again and went over them with Jennifer.
    (She's forgiven me for entering the site for comment by the way, but only because I promised to get mine finished off and submitted in the same way soonest!)

It was great to get feedback, she thought, but we both had some questions...

splufdaddy said the gradient had to go. Did he mean the orange and yellow at the left of the page? (It's meant to suggest a hot sun in the sky, because of the site's theme - beach holidays).

newfiewebguru thought the images were too 'tacky'. Can I ask if you could expand on that? Are they the wrong ones, or not very well presented, or what. We were a bit surprised at that one, 'cause we thought they were pretty much in line with the site's theme.

Also, nwguru, you suggested more work on the banner (the top site logo I presume?) but not what that work should be. What do you think would improve it? Sorry if that sounds thick, but we're both newbies and were left wondering.

danieloliver thought the layout wasn't pretty, but I'm afraid that doesn't mean much to us. What would make it prettier, Dan? Once again, sorry to be such slow starters, but we don't know that much about layout. What doesn't work for you?

Thanks again, everyone. We really are keen to learn, but we're probably not yet experienced enough to pick up on the comments straight away.

Lol :nervous:

Sara

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yes, the orange gradient and the blue gradients have to go.

I think newfiewebguru is trying to say that the background texture, the gradients, and the fonts are all lacking in an artistic sense. You need to create a vibe and life to the design of the site for your favorite beaches.

Banners and "top site logos" are what most call headers. When I say content, I mean the text and graphics for the page. And navigation are the links to your other pages.

I would like to help you a bit. orange, blue, and sand texture are not a set of color that mixes well. The beaches of algarve are absolutely beautiful, but you need to make your site beautiful and aesthetic.

The title of your site needs to have a more readable font, but to help create the beauty of the site you would want a smooth cursive font. The sand texture background shouldn't be used. Instead a very light vertical gradient of light brown to dark brown should be applied or a light gray with a one pixel border to surround the content. make sure your navigation and content flow smothly together in order to make the site look more aesthetic.

I still have to redo mine since the interface is aggravating me. I think you two have a bit to learn, but just work on showing more of the beaches. Recolor the photos to enhance the quality of the beach.

I hope what I said helped. I remember feeling thick-headed like that when I started 5 years ago.
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads