Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: How is my site design?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

0 0%
  • Very Good

0 0%
  • Good

1 33.33%
  • Fair

2 66.67%
  • Poor

0 0%
  • Needs a lot of work.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Sorry, Deleted Post

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There's already a rating system built into this forum. No need to add a poll on top of that.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    PS... I don't like the website design, but I think the tower design is interesting. I see that it's got a circular cross-section to decrease the wind-load. However, I don't see how you're compensating for the inefficiencies that will create in the floor-plan. Also, I noticed the torsion braces on the ground level, but why aren't you building up those areas with usable floor space? cascading levels in sky-scrapers is a superior design because it increases your usable floor-space while at the same time decreasing the torsion load of the main structure. Again, I think your design would work functionally, but I don't think it would be a cost-effective design, because you won't get enough tenants to pay for the cost of the structure in a reasonable amount of time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Interesting design - although you say on your home page "seeing a tower in all four dimensions" Yet I see no evidence of a 4th dimension (usually time or temperature)... what exactly are you referring to? Sorry man, but buildings are 3 dimensional, not 4-D

Also transio you're missing a major point - people pay for looks. Floor space may be a sacrifice, but how cool it looks will attract more people and allow them to increase their rates, and as popularity increases and space becomes more limited (usually happens in places where there's skyscrapers) they can keep increasing their rents.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Very interesting content Nsee. I have a question for you though, is this just a hobby or school project, or do you actually work in some kind of architechture firm or plan on making your design a reality one day?

Just curious.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not all buildings take a long time. Especially if you have a big firm designing it. Most city/state/federal projects the design of the building is done in a matter of months from requests for proposals. It's all about the bidding for contractors, engineers, and permits that takes years. Just getting a zone-change can take decades in some places.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Nsee,

I actually used to be an Architect myself. I think the problem you'll run into is that you didn't design the building with a specific place in mind. Most projects of this magnitude have a specific goal that they are trying to achieve or conceptual expression through design relative to a specific place, culture, etc. Since your design is without a location, it's kind of "shallow" in that respect.

I think you could very likely win an engeneering competition with your design, but I doubt it will ever be built. Perhaps you could reuse the structural innovations from this exercise in future designs of yours, but remember that design is about more than just engineering. There are many, many other factors to take into account, not the least of which is the visual engagement of the surrounding architecture.

Maybe you should find a location that could use a building of this size and tweak the design to fit that location and the culture of the people at that location. Then maybe you could pitch the design to whomever would approve it. Again, unsolicited designs are rarely constructed (unless funded by the designer), but it's worth a shot, I guess!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by Brak
    Not all buildings take a long time.
    Yeah, but this building is 3000 feet tall !!!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Incidentally, from an engineering perspective, you should consider that projects like this are your competition:

http://www.takenaka.co.jp/takenaka_e...ty/skycity.htm

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Originally posted by transio
    Yeah, but this building is 3000 feet tall !!!
    He was referring to the design/approval stage... not the building stage Also building techniques have improved DRASTICALLY over the years. A 30-story bank building just went up around the corner of my house recently... after the water pumping was done, the building went from a hole in the ground to open in 5months. I call that pretty spectacular

Anyways... all you damn architechts... all full of ideas but never anything useful A lot like flash developers trying to create websites That's coming from a Civil Engineering perspective

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads