Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is two posts in one :classic:

First of all I would like to ask anyone who sees this to go to http://www.passiveminds.com and let me know what you think! What's good about the design, what's bad about it, what's missing in the site, what should be another way..? All that stuff!

Second I would like to recommend that same site to all webmasters! It contains a list of sites ratable by design, creativity and functionality. The point is to gather sites of great, creative design for webmasters to be inspired by.

So two reasons to visit the site:
    1. Help me out with your thoughts on the site.
    2. See what the site can do for you, what ideas it can give you.

Thankful for ALL input! :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's very nice and clean. The only problem I see with it off the top is that it's nowhere near close to fitting within 800x600. I'm running 1280x1024 but the window happened not to be maximized, and I had to maximize it to top the horizontal scrolling.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    filburts right, i didn't notice that there was more to see, till I read all the post here. It doesn't fit 800x600, and I think the news section should be moved above the register section... Thats just my thoughts.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    All of the above, and I would recommend changing the links at the top so that they do something when the mouse is rolled over them (bring the underline in perhaps). People tend to expect something like that to happen when their mouse moves over something.

It also looks like there's some white space on the top as a result of what appears to be an Extreme DM counter. You may want to move that to the bottom as well.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for your input! Please keep it coming!

Through recent statistics we know that 1024*768 is the most common resolution among websurfers, so we chose to go with that one. Partly because one of our goals were to create a spacey, clean and plain design. So we needed the space of the resolution. And then partly because we didn't want to limit ourselves or the development of the web by using old standards.

At the risk of sounding elitist,
    Only dead fish swim against the stream :classic:

As for the links, placement of login/news and the white-space at the top: Thank you! It will be considered, discussed and so forth :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Not to sound rude, but can I ask for the source of your statistics about 1024x768 being the most common resolution?
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Nice Design. Why don't you use liquid design ???
    - Webmaster's Planet . Greek Vortal For Webmasters ...
    - MyPortFolio - View My Creations

Member #
    First of all I would like to apologize for taking so long to reply. I will not bore you with the reasons why.

nsr81: After reading your reply I looked around and realized my information was not the only truth out there. I read about resolutions in a computer mag, which said that 1024*768 was the most commonly used resolution. What it probably meant was either that it was the most common within a certain group, or that it was on the way of becoming the most common one. Most of the information I found while browsing around said that 800*600 is the most common today, but that 1024*768 is on the uprise and not far away from taking over. (Some also stated that 1024*768 was in fact the one in lead.) Anyway, to justify our design being optimized for 1024*768 I can give you some of our statistics. This is put together from all the visitors the site has had since the launch.

800*600 - 4,7%
    1024*768 - 30,7%
    resolutions higher than 1024*768 - 54,6%

This is of course because we get most of our visits from design-freaks, something that we kept in mind while designing the site. That's why the resolution we chose to opt. it for is 1024*768. Thank you for asking though, because now we had a chance to think it through and evaluate the situation so far. As well as check our information regarding current web demographics. But to give you a straight-forward answer to your question: basically, I stand corrected. :classic:

Webmasterplanet: There are several reasons why we didn't use a liquid design. As you can see on our stats above a vast majority of our visitors use 1024*768 or higher resolution. I don't really like that we're using a non-liquid design either. But when viewing the site with a non-liquid design and a resolution wider than 1024 it really looks awful, as well as if you would view it with a resolution width of 800. Using a non-liquid design opted for 1024*768 may be a slap in the face for 800*600 users, but after much consideration we found we had little choice in the matter. And the users with resolutions wider than 1024 just get some extra space on the sides, something I can live with.

I'm pretty tired right now, so I hope my answers are understandable and to your satisfaction. Please let me know if there's anything else you're wondering about. It's good that we get to once again think these things through properly. That is much easier to do when the questions are asked from another angle. So, once again, thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I'm glad that my question motivated you to do research on your target audience. I admit, from the statistics you have provided about your site, you stand correct. I was just trying to point out that a general statement like that is not yet true
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Well I agree. I don't like liquid design - mine visitors are also 1024x768. 800x600 seems to be big to all, not to mention 640x480.
    - Webmaster's Planet . Greek Vortal For Webmasters ...
    - MyPortFolio - View My Creations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads