Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,

Well, that didn't take long, did it?

SO many things got in the way that Jennifer and I only just managed to finalise an agreed new format for her site's pages at tea-time today.

So, hot off the press (or whatever), please check out:

www.algarve-beach-life.com/test-page.html
    This is the cleaned-up, got-rid-of-the-gradients version. But we still can't decide about the nav buttons. So we've included 3 versions, to get some feedback about those too.

The previous (i.e. current) page design is at:
    http://www.algarve-beach-life.com

Thanks for any comments, and we'll remember you all in our mantras, next time we fire up a joss stick!

SaraB
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    The negatives first.

No doubt the heading font is supposed to evoke the beach experience, but for me the ragged edge looks like someone hasn't mastered their graphics program. I would keep trying other informal fonts.

The page looks visually predictable. Watermarking would improve it in this regard if done properly.

And I'm no expert on punctuation but trim the ,

The positives.

I found it easy to read and engaging. A website with a story to tell is odds on to succeed.

The horrible menu background is gone.

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Get a background colour/image, the logo needs retuning and DEFINATELY cut down on the "," 's
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    A couple of suggestions:

-The new design is very, very plain. There is no color or borders to break up the different parts of the page (navigation, content, ect.) Without these divisions, the site looks jumbled and unorganized.
    -like ceetee said, your logo definately needs work, at least try antaliasing it, or try another font. The logo of the site is what grabs people's attention when they view it, so you have to make sure its top-notch
    -Im not a big fan of the beveled buttons for the nav, personally. They look very dated, and give sort of a "amatuerish" look to the site. If you must use them, you should at least make them all the same color and size, space them equally, and maybe give them some rollovers. I would change your "Home Page" button to "Home", or "Main" Also, why are there two "Favorite Beaches" buttons?
    -Left-align the Page Heading text
    -Why is that beach pic so small? I would think the reason for having it is so people can see how beautiful the beaches are, I would enlarge it.
    -Add a hover color for your links

All-in-all an improvement, just needs a little work.

Good Luck
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for all the comments so far.

you should at least make them all the same color and size, space them equally,
    The buttons are different sizes/colours to get feedback on which sort is best. Hence the repeated captions - they're just different versions of the same button to choose from.
    Disregarding the 'dated' bevels, which version works best?

Why is that beach pic so small?
    It's just there to add colour to the page. This is just a TEST page, for crits of the basic layout. The body text might as well be 'lorem ipsum'.

The page looks visually predictable. Watermarking would improve it in this regard if done properly.
    Not sure what this means. Could you please explain?

Get a background colour/image..
    Doesn't the 'sand' theme qualify as an image? That's not rhetorical; I know it's a JPEG.

your logo definately needs work, at least try antaliasing it
    Hmm... nobody likes the logo. We realise it isn't flash or techo, but thought that, with the 'beach' theme, it looked a bit like letters drawn in sand and therefore a bit 'rough around the edges'. All of the alternative fonts Jennifer's tried look a bit 'formal' for the site's theme.
    Does anyone know of a non-formal font that wouldn't give the much-mentioned anti-aliasing problems. (Thing is, 'Eraserdust' is supposed to be a bit rough).

Left-align the Page Heading text
    I know what you mean. Since the left-side border colour disappeared, the heading looks odd where it is. Jen might have to reestablish a background colour beneath the nav buttons, then the centred text won't look so odd. (It's weird, but that never occurred to us while we were working on it).

Well, you've certainly given us plenty to think of once more! Back to the drawing board, methinks.

Thanks again,

Sara

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sad to report, Jennifer was in a pretty low mood this weekend. I think it was down to the amount of work she foresees in putting her site right (since it's about 28 pages now!)

Neither the current layout:
    http://www.algarve-beach-life.com
    nor the revamp layout:
    http://www.algarve-beach-life.com/test-page.html
    seem to fit the bill, and I guess she's just overwhelmed.

She was even considering using the template set-ups that her host offers. They are 'customisable' within limits, so she could use her own logo and navbar background.

I guess she's torn between the desire to learn how to do this stuff better, and the need to get the site looking less 'yeuchh' in the short term.

On top of which, the form on her 'Subscribe' page wasn't working when I checked it for her on my PC. And her host says it would work in one of the template pages, but that there's no guarantee it'll work in her own uploaded HTML page...

So, she thinks: maybe change the pages over to the template style and at least that way she won't be losing e-zine subscribers because her form isn't working.

I bought her a curry and we shared a bottle of wine, but she wasn't very 'up' when I left her last night. :disappointed:

What do people think? Short-term fix using customised templates, or lose subscribers while sorting out everything 'long-hand'?

SaraB

PS Could someone please explain the 'watermarking' suggestion?

Member #
    Watermarking - a very faint background image.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Watermarking - a very faint background image.
    Thanks for the info, ceetee, but how would it make the layout 'less visually predictable' as was suggested?

Sara

Member #
    Totally unrelated to your website in one sense, but if you are wondering how to present a page which is mainly text, you could do worse than to bookmark the site and keep studying it. And it has a watermark.

http://www.cosmicneon.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    - it's too empty
    - no borders
    - the header font is ugly
    - i don't like the color scheme
    - the buttons are not alighned right and are with different shapes

I suggest you read more about designing sites and start allover again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads