Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

http://www.contemporaryaudiovideo.com

I have been working on a website for the company i work for but i need some serious help with html. im pretty happy with the design, but i know i went about it completely wrong because of my lack of experience. I first used photoshop, then image ready to create the site, then i made an attempt with golive to consolidate images in order to speed up load time. i have tried to start from scratch with golive, but to no avail. i have looked at the html code and found that there is a java script - ok, im completely new to this but i really dont think i need java in my site, do i?

my main objective is to get this site to load much much faster with out loosing, or even increasing, image resolution. if anyone would be willing to give me a few quick ideas or some direction to do my own research online i would greatly appreciate it. thanks!

this is the first time i have found this forum so i will be sure to start some research here.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    first off.. java and javascript are two totally different things..

Practically the whole site is made up of images. Dont use images for text. So no matter what as long as its made up of images it will load slow. The site does not look bad, but it could use a major overhaul with reguards to getting rid of all the images and replacing them with fast loading divs or other elements, even tables would benifit this site..

Get rid of the images and everything will work much better.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Good-looking site so far.

Agree about the images where they could be text (slow downloads are a pain).

How about mouseovers on your navbar? (oops - they work on other pages, just not the home page).

Quote from home page:
    "CAV will design, sell and install a system..."
    Unless your client is adamant, I'd remove that word 'sell'. It just reminds prospects that they'll have to pay for what they want (when they understand that anyway).

And, from what I've learned about search engines and keywords, just having bucketloads of catch-all keywords, such as on your home page, won't impress them. Especially since there's no text on the page that might echo the keywords, only images..

Best of luck with the design.
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    It's OK.
    Use text in place of images... It's not only about the size, but that you can't copy/paste from it, and adding a link is very painful.(Don't use image maps).
    Try to make the right area where all the logos go a bit blended with the background, not just a white square over the bg.

Member #
    Thanks for all the comments. maybe my first question should be is if anyone can recommend a better application to build this site in other than golive. something a little more suited for my knowledge.

Aside from changing the body copy from an image to text, are there any other ways to speed this up? how about the rollovers i have on the left side? has anyone looked at my source code?
    <!-- ImageReady Preload Script (cav.psd) --><CSSCRIPTDICT><CSACTIONS><CSACTION
    i would like to get rid of any scripts if possible. i really want to strip this down to the core if i can. i have tried to rebuild the home page in golive with frames, but it seems very difficult - at least for me. all your comments are appreciated. i will take it all in and try to work on it over the weekend.

oh, a couple other things. is it possible or even necessary to change my menu icons to text over a button/image? i would think that if for the horizontal menu icons, having only one image replicated should speed it up a little. can you direct me to how to do that? the other question i had was how to crop the site in to get rid of the scroll bars and the white space around it.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    i would like to get rid of any scripts if possiable. i really want to strip this down to the core if i can.
    The best way to do this is to get rid of the image based layout. omitting scripts will do little to lighen your site. That's like trying to loose weight by taking off your shoes.

If you got rid of the images and used a bit of css you could get rid of ALL scripts and still have effective rollovers.

The reason you are having so many problems is it seems you are attacking web design from a graphic designers perspective. You cannot create a website by making a huge image and slicing it up into different sections, well you can, but it wont be light or efficient and it will have other problems like search-ability. Its important to use the proper elements. Such as using an H1 tag for "About Us" will have more meaning then an image. You do not have to sacrifice your design to have a site that functions properly. Plus it will load much faster be searchable and a whole host of other benifits will tag along or can be added later.

Although it may look right, designing sites like this is a patch up way to do things.

Member #
    Yes, try to use CSS for all that you can.
    I don't like GoLive too much, try Dreamweaver or if your budget is tight 1st page 2000 or HTML kit.
    For the navbar use CSS rollovers. Create a table with a cell for each link, and make a CSS class called ".navbar a, .navbar a:visited" and adjust it properties for normal state. Then create a class called ".navbar a:hover" and change it's background color to change the cells background.
    This is a fast and light rollover, but appealing.

Remove Ads