Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My site used to be very unorthodox. When it was simple, and had little content, I think it did well. Now, there's too much content to have a funky, "gallery" style design. So, an update was in order:

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~japangaming/beta/main.cgi

LMK what you think.
    A couple of things to note:

1: I've got one glitch I can't figure out. On the index page which shows thumnbails for games (game_index.cgi), in Mozilla/Firebird, only the top part of the thumnbail works like a link. The bottom part does not. Strange, and I can't figure out why. Any help there is appreciated.

2a: I think the bevel is one of the worst inventions by man. You can preach that the "flat" look is cheesy, but this is what I aimed for.

2b: Same with the shiny metal look.

3: The "Search" and "Next" buttons are actually different, but the way I've got it coded up, I'd be overwriting the buttons that are on the production site, and screwing it up. In short -- I'm lazy. Just use your imagination of much smaller buttons.

4: The unreleased section: I'm going to change this format -- I know, it's awful. Just haven't figured out how yet.

Member #
    You could make the site stand out a little without bevel or shiny metal. Perhaps a shadow or even some gradients. IMO it would look a bit better but it looks alright as is. IMO the logo could be a bit bigger and the black headers dont stand out on the blue enough. I do quite like the colour scheme. good luck!

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback -- very informative.
    I agree w/ you 100% on the logo, although i really couldn't make it work the way I wanted it to. Rather than have it take up the whole top bar, I left it as is. Better to be unnoticeable and not quite right, than steal all the attention. I'll probably work on another one.

I'll play around a bit with gradients as well. WHere exactly do you think they should go?

As for the black not standing out on the blue -- I agree, but not sure what else would look good. Obviously white wouldn't work. Maybe a light gray outline? Will have to do some dabbling.

Thanks!

Member #
    I reckon you should put the grads on the headers of your tables. Maybe make the blue go from dark blu on the left to lighter on the right? That way you could make the text white and kill two birds with one stone! Same with the grey headers. Maybe start with that grey and go lighter to the right so you can keep the text black. then make the bg grey a little lighter. But thats just IMO! see how it goes.

Member #
    Will do.
    I'll play around w/ that a bit this week and see what can be seen.

Thanks for the input!

Remove Ads