Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello people, I'm new to these forums and I'm glad to find a place where I could share some of my own work as well view a lot of everyone else's neat and interesting stuff.

So i'm like 17 and I'm almost done with high school. I have no plans for college or future schooling. But I don't want to look foward to a career in the custodial arts. Anyways for a start I decided that I'd make a website for the services I plan to offer for video editing, graphics, illustration and the etc...

here's the link...
    http://babdag.dyndns.org/Sites/nncp/index.aspx

All comments and such are more than appreciated, I'd really like some tough judges for this because I want this to look good

Member #
    That's pretty nice. But it could be made better:

- Give the navigation button rollover effects.
    - Add a flash intro.
    - Change the color scheme.

If you think all the flash and stuff would give it too slow load times, then make 2 versions:

Hi-Fi
    Low-Fi

Then have the hi-fi with all highly optimized graphics and lots of flash, and the low-fi with lowly optimized graphics and a bit or no flash at all! If you can't do flash very well.....LEARN IT!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What navigation button? I couldn't get any navigation to work...

Why the retro images? For a cutting-edge service...

And the name? Won't your customers be disappointed if you aske them for more than 99c? (It might be ironic, but most business owners aren't).

The 'About Us' link(?) looks "unprofessional". People who are interested in your services probably aren't interested in you personally and individually. If I were a prospective customer, I'd assume you were young and new to the business. Save that stuff for a personal site?

Only one woman's opinion, of course.

Good luck with your venture.
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    thanks a lot guys. I'm gonna give it another try once I recoup some more energy and cut out the "retro" look to it. It doesn't suit well as you guys have mentioned. And I'll try to learn flash too, which is essential in giving these people the "cool factor". I appreciate it now back to work...

Member #
    Two useful little things...

<a href="" ...alt=""> on Images.
    ...title=""> on text hyperlinks. etc

In your stylesheet instead of writing:
    Code:
    border-top: 1px solid #000000;
    border-right: 1px solid #000000;
    border-bottom: 1px solid #000000;
    border-left: 1px solid #000000;
    You can use CSS Short-hand to get the same results but with less code, saves you alot of time.

Code:
    border: 1px solid #000;
    I didn't think the footer image does much for the layout/design, its partitaly washed out and cloudy looking. Other than the fact its a room of some sort, it doesn't relate to what your offering/about.

Try playing around with the header typography, its look flat and doesn't live up to the high impact impression that you would come to expect.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I dont know if it's because I havent been getting much sleep latly or what, but I have to disagree with many of the posts above.

I dont think the site looks THAT bad.. The typography could be improved and some minor subtle color adjustments. But I like the overall look, it has personality, unlike many large corporate media sites that look stamped out. I think you should keep the image. The retro thing works for me. The airplan is great, espeically with NNCP stamped on the wing, it looks like it belongs. And and a name like nintey nine cents productions really seems to help you fit into a specific market. Start up companies who are looking for low cost design services. Usually they are looking to reduce their costs, like marketing. If you could offer multiple services for a discount that would appleal to many of them. You could so many different promo campaigns from your name alone such as if you buy a full website you get a logo designed for .99 cents. Advertise in small buisness publications and go to small tradeshows in your area. There is alot of money to be made from small startup companies. And once you start building a relationships, you will be getting repeate business (assuming your services are good). Personally I think you are onto something.

One thing i will urge you on though.. dont try to bite more then you can chew.. Start off offering one or two services you know you can do well and only work that at first.. as people request other projects and your experiance increases start to branch into your other areas. But by starting as a jack of all trades media company, you run the risk of getting overwhelmed too quickly.

The about us section.. if you insest on keeping it make it professional. Dont mention anything personal about yourself.

Note: i would probably also change your slogan from Convenience, Speed, Reliability to something to play off your name. Like media on the cheap. That might sound tacky but you can play with the idea.

ONE more thing... If you are going to offer cheap services, justify why you are doing it. It could be that you are using efficient design resources, you own your own print shop, or whatever.. Anybody who is presented with an offer that is "too-good-to-be-true" will be weary of it and will want to know what the catch is or why it's so cheap. So tell them up front. It shows you are honest and they will respect you for it.

Remove Ads