Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm pondering a (hopefully minor) redesign of my site, so I thought that now is the time to ask for opinions on the current design, and what would make it work better.

url: http://www.lazaruscorporation.co.uk
    description: weird art and writing and suchlike
    target audience: weird arty people like me

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Member #
    Well its not that bad atm. I just think you should add a banner. Your header is too plain, so I think you should create a header image that spreads across the entire screen. And it also fills the entire screen on 1024x768, so you might want to shrink it a bit, because its pretty large on 800x600. Nice job.

Member #
    Originally posted by lazarus
    [B]I'm pondering a (hopefully minor) redesign of my site, so I thought that now is the time to ask for opinions on the current design, and what would make it work better.
    One major problem is this:
    "dress code: ie5+/nn6+, flash 4+, respectable soundcard, 800x600+ true color"

This is a very 90's statement. Are your designers suggesting they are deliberately excluding people who don't use IE/NN. Or are they saying that they don't have enough ability to design a website for a range of browsers. A fairly straight forward task in this day and age of webstandards - and with the design as it stands now. The whole point of the web is that it doesn't require the user to be forced to what the designer wants: you must open your window wide, you must have Univers 75 installed, you must be using Windows XP running a soundcard made within 3 months, running IE. A good designer designer works within the restrictions of the medium.

As for the design - I quite like it. The white on a grey background for the headers is somewhat problematic though. Not very readable, sometimes 'click here for more information' is semi obscured, the menus on the left seem too flush with the side of the browser window, and the '::' marks seem significant but don't seem to mean anything, and the type has no relationship between hierarchy and function. I think that you should not have the inbedded frame thingy on the left. It's a little ugly. Perhaps a simple Javascript toggle, to expand stuff will free up the space you need.

Good to see the page close to validating though. Just 4 small errors. I apologise if this comes across as critical.

Member #
    thanks zeroskater88 and macgruder

criticism is what I'm after, so please don't apologise - both of your posts have been constructive and intelligent.

with reference to zeroskater88's comments on the screen res/size - there is a bit of javascript which replaces the right hand image with a smaller image if the resolution is less than 1024x768 (browsers with javascript disabled simply miss off the right hand image). And as for a header - yes, I think you're right.

macgruder - yes, you're right about the 90's sound of that statement. I've actually tested the site using Opera and Mozilla as well as IE and NN, and had a Mac-using friend test it using a range of Mac browsers (IE, Safari and Mozilla) - but my wording is seriously dated - I'll change it.

I'll come to some conclusion about sorting out the i-frame for the shoutbox, and I'm intending to change the "::" marks into the 'bullet point' marks for an unordered list (so they won't be read by screen readers as text).

Thanks for pointing out the 4 non-validation errors - that page used to validate last month - the 4 errors are from the "cut'n'paste" code for the XML/YahooRSS buttons which I recently added (moral: don't trust other people's code!).

I'd be happy to hear any more comments.

Cheers

Paul

Member #
    everything seems really crowded. even though it's big nothing has breathing room. don't use any iframes if you can avoid it. the word corporation is unreadible to me. also, please dont use sound on a splash, even if it's short. if people want sound, have a link to turn it ON. let it be off by default for people like me who constently listen to music on their computer.
    Rembember, You're Unique
    Just Like Everybody Else

Remove Ads