Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new redesign

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I totally redid a site I posted on here a few months ago:
    http://laura.soydesign.net/
    its all in flash, im going to make an html version also. I would really love feedback. In particular I'm wondering what people think of the music in the background (if its annoying, etc). I'm looking to basically 'showoff' my artwork and design work for schools, possible web design opportunities. Thanks for your time.

Member #
    Your navigation needs to be a little more intuitive, and I do not lkike pop-up websites myself. I had to stop my music to listen to your background music, get rid of it! Other than that you have some nice work, and you have worked well with a dark design! 4/5 Overall.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Yer its nice. The nav would be better if the shape tween went quicker. But other than that i like it. 3.5/5.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I'm not keen on background music (personal preference since I've usually got a music CD playing in my CDROM drive while I'm browsing). A "music off" switch on the site would placate me so I could browse the site happily. Like I said, though, that's just a personal preference.

Overall, I like the site, with the following minor points:

1. On the links page - because the site opens in a window without a status bar it's impossible to see what the URLs are for the linked sites before you commit yourself and click on them. A mouse-over-text thing would solve this.

2. The "about" icon only seemed to work from the links page - not from any other page.

Member #
    Thanks. I think I'll ditch the music. There is a switch to turn it off but it's not very obvious (i'm also not sure how it shows up on windows, i use safari on my mac - it may not be there). I could also not have it autostart so you could turn it on if you wanted.

lazarus- I noticed the 'about' button thing but was hoping it was a fluke, I can't figure out why it's doing that. I'll look into it more though.

Member #
    I don't really like the pop-up style window, you lose alot of features/information that browsers would otherwise have. You also have the rest of the underlying screen area to distract you from the site.

I quite like the music, (but I think thats down to people's own taste more than anything.) - It doesn't really fit in with the style of the site. I noticed in the bottom left side there's a Media Player inline control bar squeezed into the corner that is only partialy visible.

*The font-size is abit on the small size, I had to get pretty close to the screen in order to read it comfortably.

*Having a title on each page could reaffirm where in the site you currently are.

Member #
    Some windows problems. I go to your site and a window pops open to go one step further, then I look at your artwork, and I get another window, so that's 3. Try to avoid forcing users to give up control of their windows. It's mine not yours :-) This includes external links. If I want to stay at your site I will by option clicking or something, but don't force me to do so - an exception may be examples of your webdesigns, but warn me about it with an appropriate icon. A small swoosh like arrow should by enough.

Also, I think we need a clearer indication of where we are. Perhaps you could change the saturation of the icon or something. The linear aspect of going through subcategories like inside pencil and painting areas would be problematic with a larger site.

Otherwise, I like it. The design is pretty cool.

Member #
    cool. i think i'll make the main site a non-popup page. i can see how that could be annoying. i'll also try to make the logos more obvious. thanks a lot.

Member #
    I like it, its original! The about link doesn't seem to work properly. Its a little busy surrounding the content area but outside of that its great. I wish I could draw like that, I love the pencil sketches.

dregna

Member #
    Futher to everyon else's comments, and my previous comments, I'd like to add that none of the navigation links, apart from the 'about' link work when you are on the 'links' page.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads