Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

IAMI: Irrepressible Artists with Mental Illness...
    http://www.IAMIonline.org

IAMI is a local perfomance art group i am part of. I was "hired" to do this website. So far all the other members have had only good things to say about it. But none of them are experienced with webdesign. I think i'm pleased with it. Though it did end up being a rushed job, since IAMI wanted it online as quickly as possible with a major performance coming up.
    My father runs a webdesign business (which i used to work for) and both he and his partner said they were impressed with it...

However, i would like to get some honest opinions from some people experienced with webdesign, who are not related to me.
    This is the first professional website which i have designed and created all by myself... So i would be glad to have any advice, suggestions, or constructive critisism. Thanks! :classic:

Member #
    I'm not a fan of the flash intro. The text is hard to read, and it's too simple. Also, the Skip Intro text looks odd in Courier.

I'd lose the page transitions, they're unprofessional IMO.

The design isn't bad, but the use of an iFrame here is. I think this site would be much better if the text was actually on the page and not in a little box. Let the content dictate the page length.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't like the image quality, those shadows you've used everywhere, the whole layout. I suggest redesign.

Member #
    Overrall it's good. When you ditch the spoonfeeding flash introduction, and scrollable box with transitions - then it will be very good.

Member #

Thanks for your input.

The intro isn't actually flash, it's a simple animated gif (i haven't learnred flash yet) and that was something the client (IAMI's Consumer Coordinator) wanted... And also the images preload while it is going.
    I might ditch the iframe, the only reason i really have it is because the info below it is something that needs to be shown from the start, so i was hesitant to place it at the bottom of a large scrolling browser window.

So far my experience with webdesign is that it's partly about the client (what they want) and partly about the viewer (people who will be visiting the site). Much of the layout of the site is what the client wanted. So as a webdesigner you can only do so much. LOL

But thanks for the comments so far. I appriciate it. :classic:

Member #
    Good layout, it's not all squared off which I really like :-)

- The colours aren't bad but not brilliant either.
    - With a site that is quite small in terms of content I don't think a site map is really required.
    - The intro is a little too simple and tends to drag on (I hate clicking on skip intro - i might miss something - haha)
    - As mentioned before the transitions give the site a bit of an amatuer feel, with the layout the way it is the site would be cool with no transition effects.

All in all - good work though!

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Originally posted by msandersen
    So far my experience with webdesign is that it's partly about the client (what they want) and partly about the viewer (people who will be visiting the site). Much of the layout of the site is what the client wanted. So as a webdesigner you can only do so much.
    That's a great attitude to have about the whole client / designer situation. Personally, I think the transitions are a bit annoying, otherwise it's a nice site!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Originally posted by m.mckernan
    - The intro is a little too simple and tends to drag on

Yeah, the intro was a cause of annoyance for me. I agree it is very long... I did my best with what i was given.
    It is a quote which the consumer coordinator wrote and spoke for a few of our events. I actually did edit it down quite a bit. And it does read slowly, but she wanted it to read as if it was being spoken. I thought about making an audio aspect to it, but gave up due to time constraints and the thought that not many people care for audio on sites. (I, myself, usually browse with my speakers turned way down unless i happen to come across something that peaks my ears interests.)
    I might look into improving the intro by making some kind of flash or something... But i'll have to do that after i learn more about how to make stuff like that.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think, given the subject, that your design works rather well. The colours seem to fit the theme, and as you point out in some of your answering posts, the client's requirements can often scupper the whole thing.

But, where's the Art that these 'artists' are banging on about? I see mission statement type flannel and lots of stuff about breaking a stereotype (not sure there's only one about mental illness) but nothing about their output... Is this to follow later? (which would justify the inclusion of a site map).

I never know why groups take this approach. If I see a piece of art (of any description) that is amazing, and later discover that the artist is somehow 'challenged', then I'm further impressed... But when they go at it the other way around and say - "hey, we're challenged, but here's what we can do" - then I think we're supposed to make allowances or whatever. (I don't remember Van Gogh making a big public spiel about his problems, which were considerable).

All of which rambling has little to do with your design, which I think goes a long way to ameliorating the approach chosen by your client.

Good luck with your future works.
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Originally posted by sarab
    But, where's the Art that these 'artists' are banging on about? ...

Well at this point the only art being showcased in this orginazation is performance art (singing, other musical performance, and theatrical readings of prose and poetry). We have yet to figure out how we might put examples of this on the site (our funding is limited as well as our technological abilities).

We are in the beginning steps of incoperating other forms of art. (Poetry and Drawing are two of the first which will be included). But we have yet to fully incoperate these, thus we have yet to add them to the website. But yes, we do plan on doing that soon.

Thanks!

Remove Ads