Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hello

i made a sketch of what i want my design website to look like. if any of you have any feedback, please post

the sketch

TIA

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    It's very square. It reminds me of the blocks I used to play with in Kindergarten.

Maybe I'm a picky bugger (okay, I am), but I'm not really fond of it. I don't like light text on a dark background, and if you do elect to use that Avant Garde font for your text, you will only be able to do so in an image or Flash. This equals death to search engines.

The menu looks kinda cool, albeit a little too large. You probably want to take it down about 20-25% so that it's not so ubiquitous.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    perhaps if i changed everything that is black to white, it would look better? i was looking in the sticky about web design and one of the points it made was that the site should not use light text on dark backgrounds. i suppose i should adhere to that

alrighty. so my menu is huge. ive been looking around at a lot of freelance design sites lately, and they have similarily large areas on their sites that display nice photography and what not. because i dont have a decent camera and no photography skills whatsoever, i decided to fill a large area on top with something else, and the idea for a menu popped into my mind. i suppose it would look better in a smaller size, but where would be the best place to put it?

im going to put together a white version of this sketch some time tonight for you all to look at. might play around with the menu too. i would love to hear any more feedback

Member #
    I like the idea of the boxes, but as TheGAME1264 said they are too large.

As for the colour if you really want a dark background, maybe you should try a lighter greyish one?

Member #
    the colors i am using o the site are very basic, red blue yellow green black and white. i dont think the gray would work quite as well to contrast the white text and other basic colors, which is why im going to try white next. i really dont actually know why i chose to use black as a background. i always liked light sites so maybe i was doing it just for the sake of trying something new. ah well. the site will be further tweaked. thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

Member #
    i tried changing it to white and making the menu smaller. oh, and also changed the font from century gothic to verdana. its looking much better now thanks to all of your suggestions

any further feedback would be nice. i think im going to start coding this site tonight sometime.

THANKS!

NEW VERSION

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    That's a lot better. At least you can read the stuff now. Go with that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Your newer version is musch better, though the nav could be a tad bit smaller - it's quite large and I'm viewing at 1280x1024 - I imagine 800x600 would be overwhelmed by the size of your menu.

Member #
    Yes, the newer version is greatly improved but why the gigantic nav? Remove that and make it smaller, it looks like a kids blackboard thing for them to color on! I prefer smaller navigation on sites as it looks more professional and blends in with the sites more.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    The white version is MUCH better. But as everyone else said go with a smaller navigation bar. It clashes with your text which is really small.

I suppose if the design was larger then maybe it wouldn't look so "bad", but as you only have a small area, it does clash and people get distracted while reading the text, because the boxes are "in your face"

Remove Ads