Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi folks,

I would be grateful if anyone would please review the following page:

http://www.webdebproductions.com/chi...me_sample2.htm

I am looking for feedback about specific items:

1. How long the page takes to load, especially with a 56K dial up.
    2. Confirmation that the newsletter and calendar content on the right side of the page lines up properly and is displayed properly. (these sections use layers and I want to make sure they display properly across browsers)
    3. Please let me know with what browser and browser version you viewed the page. The page uses layers and CSS and I want to make sure it's cross browser compatible with the mainstream browsers at least.
    4. I need to add fly out menus to the 3 of the navigation buttons and if anyone has any suggestions for the best kind of image to use for a fly out here, I'd really appreciate it. If you know of other Web sites that use fly out menus with rounded buttons, I would love to see how it's been done. It's kinda hard to come up with a fly out graphic that looks nice with these rounded, long navigation buttons as they are.

Thanks so much!

Member #
    Hey,
    It takes around 10 seconds on a 56k dial-up modem for the page to load fully. They line up correctly on both IE and Firefox. Obviously, I used both IE and Mozilla Firefox. I don't know of any of those menus, I have never used them. I like the way you used information and graphics on both sides of the webpage. Well, there are 3 answers to the 4 questions you asked. Sorry I couldn't help you with the last one!

--Kevin
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply. 10 seconds to download all those graphics on a 56K dial up is better than I thought it would be.

Thanks again! :-)

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Actually, the minimal calculation would be 22.06 seconds minimum on a 56 Kbps modem. Your total page size is 141894 bytes.

This information was gathered using NetMechanic's Toolbox and HTML Code Checker (it's free to try.) The statistics for browser compatibility are horribly out of date, so just ignore the "visitors affected" stuff (although you can adjust them), but it will give you an accurate idea of how quick your page will load on various modems. This way, you can check it yourself and not always have to ask. Way cool, huh?

Anyway, I noticed something in IE 6 at 1024x768 resolution. The line "A monthly chiropractic marketing newsletter" overlaps the form input box just above it for "email address", and the form input box in turn overlaps the "GO!" button below it. I'd say it's about a 2 pixel overlap from looking at it without measuring it.

I don't really understand what you mean by a "flyout" menu. Do you mean some sort of a DHTML submenu? If so, what I would do is this:
    1. Create a table with one more row than required for the number of menu items (for example, if you have 5 menu items, you'll want a table with six rows).
    2. In the first row of the table, create a GIF where the left side of the gif is rounded inward, so that it will join like a jigsaw puzzle with the piece that is rounded outward. Something like my funky ASCII picture below:

|=========) )===========) <---- this piece here would be the first row)
    3. The rest of the rows would be your menu.

I'd draw this a little better, but ASCII is limited.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    lol game, I just checked that site and it was basing on the fact that some 40% of visitors are still using IE5!!
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You mean, you're one of the 3 in 5 that aren't?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Does the line "A monthly chiropractic marketing newsletter" line up correctly now? I placed this text inside the table cell where the name and email form content is. That table resides inside of a layer. Please look at http://www.webdebproductions.com/chi...ample_test.htm
    to see if it lines up better now.

Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    No. Now it goes down too far, and ends up blending in with the red and green parts below the box itself. You may end up having to extend that box vertically to accommodate.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm in the UK and using 56k dial-up:

1. 47.28 seconds to load (yes, girls can use stopwatches!)
    2. Everything lined up well (Netscape 7.1)
    3. See 2.
    4. Others will help you with the tech stuff on nav, but I did think the buttons were a bit OTT and 'in-yer-face', given the rest of the layout...
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Menu Idea

I discovered this quite by accident while trying to sell a bedroom set using online classified ads. This one site had the default setting as GMT - 12 hours (Kwajalein). Naturally, I had to look up what it was since "Kwajalein" sounded made up. Turns out it's a real place, and I found this site about it.

http://www.kwajalein.org/

If you hover your mouse over the "Kwajalein" (that sounds like such a cool word!) menu link, they've got some oval submenus, and second-level submenus that have some rounded buttons. Maybe those will help you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads