Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

http://www.unseeliecourt.net/

I'm still working on some things, but for now I want some feedback. All I get from my friends is "Its so pretty." Not very helpful in the design sense of things.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    WTF man... that was one of the most annoying websites ever.

Nothing works, I couldn't navigate.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I don't quite see how it can be "one of the most annoying websites ever" when it has no flashing banners or doesn't have bazillions of pop-ups that give you a virus.
    The main page didn't upload after I changed it, the page should have told the user to use the leaves to navigate the site. I must have forgot to upload it or didn't select it to by accident.

Member #
    Well, although you tell the user to navigate by using the leaves, i think it should be more obvious. You should have the name of the link next to the leaf or something, or change the navigation and put it somewhere else. After visiting your site and looking at the links, I have absolutely no idea what it is about. Whats with your titles? They have no meaning to a user that doesn't know what it's all about.

Maybe you should change the colour of your rollover's, as it is the same as the background. Make them a different colour and also make the links a different colour or at least underline them.

It would also be good to give your text box a little space at the bottom as it is stuck to the status bar.

"Break the bond" takes you back to the page you were before, a user that doesn't know the command and doesn't see this in the status bar window won't know what it means.

Other than that, yes it is a very nice design that could do with improvements with usability.

Member #
    Looks nice, usability is poor. If you dont give users a clear, concise way of navigating your site it wont get visited. Simple as.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As a design exercise: nice work

As a practical website: a non-starter.

I agree with the others. If I were a visitor, I'd look at your index page, have a quick look for navigation, then click the back button.
    Minimalism is great in some areas, but if you want your site to succeed, keep it out of your nav.

User-friendly might not be so arty, but it works for me.

Edit: By the way, I thought the index page looked great...
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'm someone who believes that part of the beauty of things is in their practical function and overall enhancement of people's lives. From this perspective...I'm sorry, but this is just ugly. Read below, and you'll see why.

Ugly because of the navigation thing (which will get beaten to death on here). Put some words beside your leaves. You have to tell people exactly what things are as far as navigation or most won't figure it out.

Ugly because the text is too small and dark against the brown background. I'd suggest either making the background a lighter shade of brown, or making the text white. I find the letter spacing a little hard to read at that font size myself as well.

Ugly because of the title bar. Your title bar should be some indication of what the page is about, and shouldn't contain any non-alpha characters at the beginning. In going back and forth between this window and the page window, I almost right-clicked and closed it because I thought the & sign was the beginning of an ad popup (side note: thank you for making me so unbelievably paranoid, colonize.com).

Ugly because the hyperlinks in the pages themselves are very difficult to find. They're almost the same colour as the text, and they're not underlined. You really won't lose that much from your website in terms of aesthetics, and if you get really creative, you can often enhance it.

The hyperlinks, when hovered over, also completely disappear. I found this incredibly confusing.

Vincent Flanders would have a field day with this site. I strongly suggest you take a look at Prince Vince's site, and really study some of the Web Pages That Suck. It will help you avoid a lot of the mistakes you're making.

Two things I forgot to add:
    1. I didn't actually comment on the content of the site because it is a personal site, and I do realize you're trying to express yourself. That sort of thing is very subjective, and I'm not about to say that this story is bad or that piece of writing is bad. It's not really my bag personally, but I can respect that it appeals to some people.
    2. Friends are, in most cases, the worst people you can ask for any criticism. They'll usually bend over backwards not to hurt your feelings, and will often dismiss your question with a platitude ("it's nice", "it's pretty", "it's good") just to get rid of you. The best thing you can do is not to bother asking them in the first place.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    What's with the mystery meat navigation?

Navigation is one of the keys to your siteís success, and anything that is this important is going to require a few to guide us web designers by. Navigation is not about obfuscation, itís about information (yeah, I know, itís a cheap rhyme). When we go to a web page, our eyes instinctively look to certain spots on the screen for navigational clues. We donít expect the siteís navigation to need an explanation.

So hereís the deal: If your visitors canít find your navigation, then they canít find what theyíre looking for; and if they canít find what theyíre looking for, youíre going to be out on the street selling newspapers.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I like the design but the guys are right I had to move my mouse all over the page to guess from where I should navigate.

Remove Ads