Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: 2004.v4

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi Guys,
    I have put together a more formal version of my portfolio (version4). Less flash and more functionality, which helps when it comes to securing contract work. I wanted to keep this clean and concise and easy to use.

I also have started a lil blog which I will build on too.

www.2004.vivamotion.com

Hope you like

Cheers Bruce
    Create!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay...from the strictly aesthetic point of view, it looks kinda cool. Where I think you'll have an issue with it is your pragmatism. I'll explain.

First of all, you're selling design. You really should have some sort of logo. Even some text that's all bent out of shape with a swoosh or something. But something at least semi-graphical.

The second and third points come from the standpoint of someone who hires freelancers.

Second point: your "related images" should link to the sites as well from the New Media. I didn't think you provided site links at all initially, since I looked at the screen cap and then closed the window. It wasn't until the fourth time I closed a screen cap window that I realized that there was a site hyperlink underneath the title of the company. Maybe you could bring that out more (bold it or something), label it "Visit the Website". Make it stupid-obvious (as in obvious to someone completely stupid or not paying full attention.)

Third point: how would I contact you? I don't even know your name (I know it's Bruce because I can read this thread in a forum, but I'm assuming that I'm Joe Shmoe the Business Owner from somewhere lost in space and time.) You've got no phone number, no address, no nothing. You should really publish that stuff. If it's an issue, get a second line for business only and skip the address (or use a PO box.) But have something there for alternate means of contact.

Fourth: The menu section headers are a bit hard to read. Maybe make them darker or bolder or lose some of the bevel. I don't know exactly on this one.

Fifth, and to me most important: lose the personal stuff (like the links to personal/non professional site.) You may want to rename "blog" (which has a personal-journal overtone) to "News" or something more professional.

I think your stuff looks kinda cool; it's just missing the practical edge, that's all.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks,
    I appreciate your comments they are of great value.

I should mention this site is not a business or web design company of any sort, its a personal portfolio of my work which is an added value to my resume which is sent out to agencies or employees for freelance/contract or full time work. So they allready know my name and who I am. But that said you are still right in saying that there should be more identity there. Hence my name somewhere.

There is a contact form on my site and also my contact details are contained in the white papers link.

I can't really loose the personal stuff as its all personal being a personal portfolio. If I was running a business or company then yes I would loose the personal stuff.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.
    Create!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusca
    I appreciate your comments they are of great value.
    They sure are. They're right up there in value with Ronco supplies!

No problem.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The design is pretty cool. If you're trying for less flash, you dont need flash to display the thumbails for every item in your portfolio. You could probably come up with something using javascript or CSS that's equally cool.

Member #
    I kept trying to scroll up looking for the logo. like thegame said, add one! On the homepage put a bit of info about you. Not "I was born in timbuktu, africa on a cold winter nite" or "my favourite teddy bears are named...." type of info. Namely your interests, brief work experience etc. i dig the colour scheme! cheers

Remove Ads