Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello everyone. I would just like to get everyones opinion about our forums. We are currently in the process of adding new features and configuring everything. I thought we should get some ideas and opinions from other web design forum users. Our site is:

http://talkwebdesign.net

You can register if you wish. The site is done for the most part. we are just adding new modifications that will allow us to add tons of features for the forum users. Hope to see some or all of you guys registered there! Thanks to all of you who give feedback on this, and thanks to anyone who registers at our forums to help it get started out. It will help us to make a better community for all of us.
    www.HostYourSiteWithUs.com - In business for two years as of 01/21/05 and still offering affordable, fast, reliable, and secure web hosting.

Member #
    It looks good.. there are just a few things I might change. The menu around the logo (faq.. search, etc..) might be hard for some to read. I might put it across the base of the header. it looks kind of empty there as it stands. Maybe even have the menu to the left or right of the logo, in 2 columns maybe.

I would also change the logo font, or make it more readable at least. The logo itself is nice and crisp, with good anti-aliasing, but the text is not as nicely rendered, and the E's especially are not defined.
    The Temple of Dagon | Dagon Design
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Member #
    I agree with the Aleister about the navigation/logo, I think it would help to make the nav links in a bigger font size.

I don't particularly think the scrollbar looks very good, it introduces new shades of blue that aren't found anywhere else on the layout/page so appear out of place and inconsistent; it should blend seamlessly with the design not draw attention to itself. Leave them default or base it around the sub-heading shad of blue. If you don't want to assign individual values for each section of the scrollbar you can simply use scrollbar-base-color: #value; for a simple method.

The orange bar with blue text doesn't work imo; try reversing it (orange on blue) if you want the bar to stand out from the one below use a darker more saturated shade of blue or even a gradient.

The 'First time user ? Register.' link can be displayed using text to lighten load times...

The house icon with the shop link located in the header seem to be iscolated in the middle of no where... what's it for ?

I'd be very tempted to replace the beige/cream with a high chroma cyan for the sub-heading text and a very light tint instead for the rollover cells.

When you increase/decrease the font size using the feature in IE only the 'posts' adn 'thread' numbers change. Make it all one way, or the other; but little things like that seem unprofessional (and bug me.)

I'm sure other people are thinking this too, but do we actualy need more web design/development communities springing up over the place ? (this isn't intended to lead off topic.)

Overall it's not bad, but it doesn't look particularly distinguished from any other similar forum either.

Member #
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your feedback. As for your question about design communities springing up all over the place... put it this way, you will never have to pay for anything on our forums, our forums will get much higher rankings in search engines than most others (it is the most search engine friendly forum software there is, plus we added custom code hacks to make it be indexed even better by search engines). I believe it is a good idea to have other communities to go to. "Do we really need more design communities?" of course we do... every different community pretty much offers something different, a different crowd, looks different, etc... Its always nice to have another place to go and honestly there really aren't that many web design communities on the net. Ours will be one of a kind and we will offer things that no other design community will.

Feel free to leave more suggestions/feedback. I am already gonna make some changes based on the suggestions I already recieved.
    www.HostYourSiteWithUs.com - In business for two years as of 01/21/05 and still offering affordable, fast, reliable, and secure web hosting.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    James, just out of curiosity, was part of your motivation in posting your site here in hopes of getting new members to sign up on your forums?

Member #
    Actually, I was planning on being an active member here on the forums. I join and participate on all the good web design communities. If others want to join talkwebdesign.net and help us out, that is great. If not, I'm sure the professional search engine submission we just got will bring us quite a bit of hits. We haven't even starting promoting in any other way yet. I'm sure there will be people that like our community and will be willing to help make it grow into a bigger and better place. I definitely wouldn't rely on another fairly inactive forum to bring me hits. I was actually just trying to get some feedback and advice so I can better talkwebdesign.net.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The design is pretty much blah since it's a simple standard I-modded-this-forum-in-10-minutes look.

BTW, why don't you have a copyright? I know you can purchase to have the copyright removed... but I've never seen anyone do this before. It just kind of leaves a suspicious aroarah about the site.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I join and participate on all the good web design communities.
    Which would they be please? This one's the most 'active' that I've ever found. Most of the others are virtually moribund.

I'm sure the professional search engine submission we just got will bring us quite a bit of hits.
    Getting hits is one thing... Getting registrants is trickier. You get more the more active your forum looks, but you need active members to achieve that. It's a chicken-and-egg thing.

But good luck with the project. And sorry this post is so off-topic.
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Back on topic, your site looks fine, but as others have commented it's very like lots of others out there.

Initial impressions:
    You're honest to log the number of members on the front page, but it wouldn't encourage me to join such a tiny community.

It seems to work okay, but the colour scheme didn't do much for me. I must admit to rather liking the design here at WDForums, but the community is so active, I think I'd return here anyway. Your site has to attract members, so give consideration to making it stand out somehow. (I wish I had some suggestions...)

Your first page should maybe tell new arrivals what the site can do for them. Most forums assume that everyone knows what's going on. If you feel your forum will take a new tack on some aspect that would attract visitors to become members, you should advertise that in big, bold lettering so new arrivals can't miss it.

Take a look at things from the POV of a newbie to web design who's just found your site. What's in it for you? Will it help? Has it got an angle that will make you join/return/participate regularly?

I'm sure you're a terrifically able web designer (unlike me) but you need a pair of spectacles labelled 'typical user' too.

Good luck again...
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate everyones opinion. I agree that talkwebdesign.net does need a lot of work before I can expect it to be anything special. One thing that is already different about it is the fact that it doesn't use vbulletin like everyone else. It is phpbb. (the copyright was removed by mistake, I didn't even notice that) That already sets it apart from the rest. We are in the process of designing a totally different logo and buttons for the site (I agree it does look too plain). We will also be changing the color scheme slightly. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and comments. By the way... you wanted to know other webdesign communities?
    Well here goes:

http://www.webmaster-talk.com
    http://www.webdesigntalk.net
    http://www.forum4designers.com (the most active one I found)

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Remove Ads